1998 FSR and 2011 Boardman HT Pro

Just an hour ago :)

2012-01-07151028.jpg

FSR brake adapter

I've been reading your account with interest. I have an FSR '98 and wish to add a disc brake to the rear. I have an A2Z but not yet fitted as I'd heard that the angled Specialized dropouts were not suitable. I note that you've used one. How is it working for you?

I am not averse to tinkering and have considered modding the A2Z to more suit the dropout. I've considered adding a strut to attach to the left hand brake boss via a rose joint just to spread the braking force a bit and perhaps eliminate the unable-to-brake-whilst-moving-backwards scenario.

Something along the lines of the attached onza version...

Attachments

• onza brake adapter.JPG
    onza brake adapter.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 2,282
The mount has been fine, bar it is a little hassle to remove the rear wheel when punctured.

What i have been thinking of doing is converting the rear axle to an oldskool solid type and just bolting it up as tight as i can get it with hand tools, i have wondered about braking "backwards" it is not very often i have done it, so it has not been an issue so far.

The wheels/tyres are being converted to tubeless so hopefully punctures are a thing of the past soon anyway, removing the wheel should not happen so often.

Righty, i did a nice 22mile XC ride on the FSR last weekend and i discovered a flaw.

Upon climbing an absolute KILLER hill, i gave up, hit the brakes and stopped, the back brake being locked on then simply rotated backwards on the A2Z mount, as the entire brake adapter rotated backwards on the rear dropout.

It was a steep hill, and its probably not going to happen a lot in the future, but it has made me think "is this adapter worth it?"

So should i start work on that enduro seat stay again and either get some longer chain stays, or try a 24" rear wheel :/

Thought it was time i updated this thread a little, the Boardman has gained a set of commute tyres as i am now doing 9.8 mile x2 per day riding to work and back :p

It seams to be helping me lose even more flab (currently 17.5 stone, down from a monster 21 stone!)

20120429_134526.jpg

The FSR is still being fiddled with :twisted:

Onza rear adapter was fitted to replace the A2Z version

20120408_124540.jpg

The front RockSHox Psylo fork was binned, and in its place i fitted a 2001 Marazocchi Z1 Dropoff (130mm travel)
The fork was stripped down, the lowers were repainted and i added some gold Marz Bomber decals (could not find any drop off ones)

20120429_134511.jpg

The handle bars were stripped back from the white paint i added to them, and left in the natural gold anodising to match the bike/fork decals.

The stem was removed and painted black to match the fork lowers (i used black hammerite)

I also removed the stock rear RockShox Deluxe and in its place fitted an X-Fusion Glyde rear shock that i picked up brand new for pennies.

I needed a shakedown run to test the bike out after the mods, the local MTB club was away to ride around Hexham/Allendale/Slaley forest, so i figured it would be a good chance to test things out, and i did, up against a 2006 FSR, a 2012 FSR, and a Spicy 514

Photo1111.jpg

Some quick shakedown thoughts, the back end for me was perfect, i have the preload on the stock X-Fusion spring wound right out as far as it would go (its a lower spring rate than the RS Deluxe) i suspect as i lose more weight it would be an issue anyway, but it was smooth and supple, and we really hammered it down some rock downhill trails, i bottomed it out once on a hard landing, but it was not a big issue, i also bottomed out the front work at the same time lol

The front fork needs a little work, for me personally, i like a bit more compression damping, and the fork felt a bit too flexy for my taste, the stanchions look mint, so the plan is to try a new set of bushes at some point, i have already drained the stock 7.5wt oil and refilled with 10wt oil, the compression damping seams a lot more to my taste now, hopefully the flex will disappear when i get around to swapping bushes.

Apart from that, the bike still rocks, i plan to remove the outer front ring, fit a bash and have 2 x 8 speed gearing, i simply don't use the outer ring and i have bashed it twice now while getting over features :)

I will try and get some decent updated pictures tomorrow!

I'm intrigued by the problems your having with the later stay mod.
I did exactly the same as you a few years ago and have been running a rear disc without issues.
Like you I had to take a little meat out of the top of the stay to fit in the shock linkage but once 'fettled' and powder coated you'd not notice it unless you were really looking for it.
Admittedly I'm only going with a 2.1inch tyre but there's bags of clearance.
what is the maximum width of your tyre at the thinnest part of the stay and I'll go measure mine to compare.

mine's here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=202929

I suspect you had a different year of seat stay compared with me, on the stay i have, it is just not going to happen with a 26" wheel and knobbly tyre,

Looking at the picture on your thread you chain stay on the left side travels horizontal and then kinks upwards towards the mount above the bottom bracket.

The older FSR chain stay does not do this, check the picture of mine above, my chainstay is straight all the way, i suspect it is also shorter as the dropouts on the earlier models appear to be longer to compensate.

I suspect if i had your style of chainstays then my new seat stay would fit without an issue.

its not such an issue for me now anyway as i really rate the Onza rear adapter, it has worked flawless for me since i fitted it.

My ghetto tubless rear wheel failed last sunday while out on the trail, and i had to remove the rear wheel to fit an innertube, i simply removed both track nuts, gave the calliper a wiggle and pulled the wheel clear, simple!

If a set of chainstays pop up at some point i may pick them up to have a bit of a play around, but its not that essential IMO, and all the pictures i have seen of cracked chainstays have been the later style with the kink in them!

yep see what you mean. if it helps with id'ing, my lower stay is standard and is a yr 2000 rockhopper fsr.
the upper stay was from a few years later. I don't think it was as late as 2005 but I don't remember. I'm getting old and it's been on there for about 5 years now :roll:

if measurements help let me know what you need and I'll measure up.

Thanks mate, just been out into the garage to get the bike out for a few pics and forgot to measure it LOL.

The bike as it is currently.

20120601_101008.jpg

The X-Fusion Glyde rear shock, please excuse the tempory white nylon washers used as spacers, it was all that my local B&Q had in stock at the time, i am waiting for some black 10mm nylon spacers to arrive in the post (must chase that up!)

20120601_101046.jpg

You can see how little clearance the tyres have on the earlier chain stays in that photo, the tyres are Continental 2.2 Mountain King MK2

Back