• I couldn't care less

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • I'll enter if I have something that fits the remit

Votes: 24 55.8%
  • I won't enter regardless

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I also am more interested in the 1998 plus section here and would like more rbotm that seek to overlap the two, the meeting of old and new as that's pretty much a definition of 99.9 of my bikes.

As has been shown a few times before it is not sustainable on a regular basis, maybe once a year to give some members a chance to buy a new bike, that may work a bit better. Most members have newer bikes but not in the numbers of their retro collections, and not buying/restoring and collecting them as they do retro bikes the flow of entries soon becomes a trickle.

Surely it's better to have a 1998> botm that is easier to win/has less entries than not at all, at least people get to show their builds/see others builds,even if it is changed to bike of the quarter.
As time goes on, the bikes from the late 90s early 2000s will be the retro bikes that people remember from their youth and may bring more traffic to the 1998> section over time. And frankly who doesnt like looking at classic bikes from their youth

Surely it's better to have a 1998> botm that is easier to win/has less entries than not at all, at least people get to show their builds/see others builds,even if it is changed to bike of the quarter.
As time goes on, the bikes from the late 90s early 2000s will be the retro bikes that people remember from their youth and may bring more traffic to the 1998> section over time. And frankly who doesnt like looking at classic bikes from their youth
This.

Also we are seeing an increased interests in the modern yet classic, such as Rivendell, Crust etc, so I don't see why the 1998 should be doomed to just full suspension monster trucks, I'd like to think that it'd be able to develop into a 'retro' adjacent milieau, if attempts are made to encourage that with themes etc.

Thereā€™s a kinda split in my thoughts on this - 26ers are inherently retro these days - so a 26ā€ hard tail is in line with the RB lineage.
Whereas a modern 29er arguably isnā€™t, but is post 98.
I havenā€™t made the jump to 29er - so my two modern riders are 2010-2012 26ers

With only a couple of entries it kind of make the win empty. There is a 98+ readers bikes section that people can show all these bikes they have off to everyone, we all love to see bikes regardless of age, but not many do despite this.

The example in the first post is not the first instance of the comp, it always fizzles out and looses meaning/appeal, hence the reason for the thread.

I suppose if everyone who has a bike to show posts it up in readers bikes and that becomes a bit more popular then it would make sense to offer a competition for them. Looking forward to seeing some bikes :)

Surly there would be enough entries for a bike of the quarter at least? And after such a long break there must be loads of bikes that would qualify, Expecially if it was advertised that it was coming back.

I will have some more upcoming build threads for readers bikes, but unfortunately not quite ready.
my two "full suspension monster trucks" šŸ¤£ are stripped of parts waiting to be painted, though the hardtail is nearly ready and should be up soon, just need decals pedals and a stem.

Probably should have stuck to rebuilding one at a time šŸ„“

Back