1998/99 Marin B-17 any fans?

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
Just picked this up today. It was fairly priced and i was initially thinking to strip it and use the forks on a pro-flex frame I’ll be building soon. But..
It’s really clean, I’ve had a few similar Marins of this age and always thought they rode a bit like a pogo stick. Not only that but the rear linkage is normally worn, giving a less than reassuring ‘clunk’ when you pick them up, not so with this one! A quick spin up the road and it feels really nice and tight, maybe she’s led a quiet life?
B18CBA93-87C1-4D68-9F83-6B83B3156F57.jpeg
It needs a service, the right shifter only shifts down not up and the wheels don’t match front/back but she’s got potential.
Worth fixing up? Or stick to the plan and break it down? Will it be a better bike than the pro-flex?
🤔

I really rate this era of single pivot Marin FRS.

I've got one built up as a XC mile muncher and love it. A friend has one with Shivers and a fancy shock and it is ridiculously good on trail centre stuff.

The only marmite thing about them is the rather high BB, which for me is noticeable but not detrimental.

Yours looks nice though, I say keep it!

Wow, that’s nice - really purposeful looking! Cheers for the feedback, I’m inclined to give it a once over and then take it for a few rides and see how I get on. Like you say they’re a decent bit of kit, it could make a nice inexpensive xc rig for me - I’ll keep you posted. :)

They're really great. I think its the best retro full suss as they are light and ride well. The high BB is fine you get used to it. I had one with manitou orange forks, forget the model, but you can run anything model wise including modern so long as travel is right. Get some decent single crowns on it I don't like those high 5s, it's a long stack of elastomer I think

Had a bit of time today and gave the bike a good clean and did a few jobs on it. Free’d up the right shifter, new cables, new saddle. Best front wheel I had to match the rear wheel was a fairly basic Quando/Alessa job so switched that out. Also changed the rear mech for a nice XT one and then used touch up paint on a few small scuffs on the swing arm.
08A1392D-22E2-43CF-ACEA-FDE41A1F8AC8.jpeg
It’s looking really nice now, ready for a bit of winter riding. If I keep it I’ve got the option to change out a few more bits for some other XT stuff I have, wheelset/cranks/shifters etc.. but we’ll see how it goes, not sure it really needs it atm.

Latest posts

Back