1998-9 Porsche Bike S

Well the Porsche has well and truly been christened with an evening trip to Dalby and a quick blast this morning whilst on Dad Taxi duty to check out some of of my adjustments.
20210608_200132.jpg

A few thoughts on the Beast...really it was a great fit for Porsche as this bike is fast, twitchy and the rear end is liable to step out at any moment !

The jury is still out on the Continental tyres. They are more like 1.95's than the quoted 2.1. Granted they are very fast but they don't hold their edge very well and don't seem to have much lateral stability. I got a rear puncture in Dalby at the end of the ride, but luckily the 1999 Crossmax's are tubeless ready so duly converted them yesterday. I will play about with pressure's and see if I can get an improvement.

It is a fast and agile climber, no one could keep up with me on the Dalby climbs, downhill is another matter though. The stem is currently set at it's lowest setting so the effective stem length is 140mm and with no dropper I am struggling to get far enough back, tried some of Dalby's off piste which I would normally take in my stride but was terrifying on the Porsche. I will raise the stem up which will shorten it's length and see if that helps (won't look as aggressive though)
20210612_102703.jpg

The Magura's are as ever magnificent , the Votec fork (whilst having a bit of an air leak that needs pumping up every few weeks) is plush and stiff and the Sram/Sachs crossover gripshifts are surprisingly good. So in conclusion, a bit of fettling to do, perhaps leave it at home if we're on a Dalby mission but I can see this becoming a favourite for a fast XC blast.

Last edited:
Well the Porsche has well and truly been christened with an evening trip to Dalby and a quick blast this morning whilst on Dad Taxi duty to check out some of of my adjustments.
View attachment 548702

A few thoughts on the Beast...really it was a great fit for Porsche as this bike is fast, twitchy and the rear end is liable to step out at any moment !

The jury is still out on the Continental tyres. They are more like 1.95's than the quoted 2.1. Granted they are very fast but they don't hold their edge very well and don't seem to have much lateral stability. I got a rear puncture in Dalby at the end of the ride, but luckily the 1999 Crossmax's are tubeless ready so duly converted them yesterday. I will play about with pressure's and see if I can get an improvement.

It is a fast and agile climber, no one could keep up with me on the Dalby climbs, downhill is another matter though. The stem is currently set at it's lowest setting so the effective stem length is 140mm and with no dropper I am struggling to get far enough back, tried some of Dalby's off piste which I would normally take in my stride but was terrifying on the Porsche. I will raise the stem up which will shorten it's length and see if that helps (won't look as aggressive though)
View attachment 548701

The Magura's are as ever magnificent , the Votec fork (whilst having a bit of an air leak that needs pumping up every few weeks) is plush and stiff and the Sram/Sachs crossover gripshifts are surprisingly good. So in conclusion, a bit of fettling to do, perhaps leave it at home if we're on a Dalby mission but I can see this becoming a favourite for a fast XC blast.
This is awesome!

Back