1997 WTB Phoenix

timoshenko

Old School Hero
This bike came to me from outside Seattle, Washington after I came across it in a craigslist ad. The previous owner said he purchased the bike directly from Mark Slate. He also indicated it was a '97 but there's no serial number on the frame to confirm. The frame has been repainted once in Kawasaki green. However, the paint was thin without a clearcoat and hasn't held up well, so eventually I'll have it repainted. It came to me with heavily used XTR M950 groupset and other equally heavily used late 90s components.

Originally, the plan was to build it up with as many period correct WTB parts as possible and refresh the period correct XTR M950. However, with some of the WTB parts I tried I was a bit disappointed with the quality compared to the earlier classic components. I ended up keeping the titanium flatbar, the Powerband stem, the Powerbeam rims, and the SST saddle. After seeing Halaburt's 1996 Phoenix Restomod, I also decided to go in the Restomod direction with the latest XTR groupset in 2x10 and a mid '00 Rock Shox SID.

Frame: 15" Wilderness Trail Bikes Phoenix, 140mm rear spacing
Fork: 2004 RockShox SID Race (80mm of travel currently but with the correct spacers will be reduced down to 63mm)

Headset: Chris King
Stem: WTB Powerband Ahead
Handlebar: WTB Titanium
Grips: WTB Original Trail Grips

Front & Rear Brakes: Avid Arch Supreme
Brake Pads: Kool Stop Thinline
Brake Cables: XTR with Wheels Mfg Ferrules

Shifter Levers: XTR SL-M980
Brake Lever: Avid Speed Dial Ultimate
Front Derailleur: XTR FD-M986
Rear Derailleur: XTR RD-M986
Derailleur Cables: XTR with Wheels Mfg Ferrules
Cassette: XTR M980 11-34T
Chain: KMC X10SL
Cranks: XTR FC-M985, 175mm, 30/42T
Bottom Bracket: XTR FC-M985 (To be replaced eventually with Chris King, black)
Pedals: Crank Bros Eggbeaters w/ custom Titanium Axles

Hub Skewers: XTR-M950
Rims: WTB Powerbeam, 32H
Hubs: XTR-M950 (To be replaced eventually with Chris King Classic, black)
Tires: Schwalbe Racing Ralph

Saddle: WTB SST Titanium
Seatpost: Thomson 31.8x400 (To be replaced eventually with Syncros 31.8x425 Titanium)
Seatpost Binder: Specialized Titanium

Weight:23.2lbs (As pictured below)

There are still some items to finish up, like the repainting the frame, replacing the hubs, and finding a new seatpost but even as I've been in the process building it I've continued to use it as a regular rider.

Re:

Great choice of components. It looks really useable and functional. Ride pics please !!
I know the retro police will not like the upgrades :)

Update

Just received the frame back from painting by Keith Anderson. The green paint that was on the frame when I received it wasn't original but I decide to maintain the colour. However, I wanted to give it more depth so I went with a pearl. Decals by SSSInk.

Just need to build it back up again. I have some other updates to incorporate, such as a pair of Chris King Classic Hubs on WTB Powerbeam rims and a Syncros Titanium seatpost.

Re:

One day I'll have a Phoenix! Lovely :cool:

That is really nice! I would vote for this on Bike of the Month (even with the modern drive-train and parts).
I always had a soft -spot for the WTB Phoenix. I know many people covet Fat Chances and Kleins but I think the Phoenix is a waay cooler bike, understated yet awesome and much more rare (proper bike exotica). One day if I'm lucky and find one in size XL I might get one... For some reason every owner of those says it's the greatest riding bike ever,
must be something to that since most people on this page have multiple bikes.

Back