1997 Kona Explosif -more neo retro updates

Epoch":34c3jxn8 said:
You know sometimes you realise in life you have so far to go :)

I may plum for the 100mm with a 5 degree rise then, i suppose it's all about trying

cheers for the education (I didn't know what A2C was until now)

The bike feels pretty fine as is, it's nice to have my (not insignificant) weight over the front more but i'd like to try it with something a bit more relaxed.

I'm 6'2 tall but am fairly long bodied (feels like a dating site now sorry)

I'm only 5'10 but it certainly didn't feel wrong for me. No doubt a Kona 19" is much more suited to my size though.
Though looking at seat hight, either yours is deliberately low or you are all up top

Here's mine http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 235#810235

FluffyChicken":pa9lc1r8 said:
Epoch":pa9lc1r8 said:
You know sometimes you realise in life you have so far to go :)

I may plum for the 100mm with a 5 degree rise then, i suppose it's all about trying

cheers for the education (I didn't know what A2C was until now)

The bike feels pretty fine as is, it's nice to have my (not insignificant) weight over the front more but i'd like to try it with something a bit more relaxed.

I'm 6'2 tall but am fairly long bodied (feels like a dating site now sorry)

I'm only 5'10 but it certainly didn't feel wrong for me. No doubt a Kona 19" is much more suited to my size though.
Though looking at seat hight, either yours is deliberately low or you are all up top

Here's mine http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 235#810235

Seat is set for a conservative straight leg heel to pedal (about a 33 inch inside leg) so the rest of my 6'2 is body and head.

I'm not as confident (fool hardy) when clipped in as i once was so the lowish seat hight suits current pursuits.

I'm thinking when the allen key set arrives I'll try the back sweep bar on the Pace stem before swopping it out for a Thompson Elite 100mm 5 degree rise.

Spare bit of time in the garage and I've changed over the handlebars.

Not the most technical job for most, but the first time i've attempted it. My be normal but I ended up taking the stem off as the cables didn't allow for the leaver fitting after bar instertion etc.

New allen key's came in handy but i must get a torque wrench at somepoint

BEFORE:

DSC007Large-1.jpg

AFTER:

DSC001Large-3.jpg

DSC010Large-1.jpg

DSC002Large-3.jpg

DSC003Large-3.jpg

DSC004Large-2.jpg

Quick blast up the road and the extra width and slight fall back actually really made a difference to my comfort levels.

Just a hope now I did everything up to the correct tighness :shock:

So I think next a slightly shorter stem should again help to speed steering up a little and boost confidence.

Choices are for a 100mm or 90mm Thompson Elite with a 5 degree rise any thoughts?

I'm running 80mm SID's on my 96 Lava Dome with a 100mm 5deg Thomson stem and Monkeylite CT2 riser bars cut down to 595mm. I run the fork plush with about 15mm sag when seated.

The bike owns the local singletrack! In other words it handles rather well indeed :cool:

mikesnowdon":1esuix1d said:
I'm running 80mm SID's on my 96 Lava Dome with a 100mm 5deg Thomson stem and Monkeylite CT2 riser bars cut down to 595mm. I run the fork plush with about 15mm sag when seated.

The bike owns the local singletrack! In other words it handles rather well indeed :cool:

Many thanks Mike, looks like the 100mm is the order choice.

The biggest limitation my bike faces is the rider ;) but I am working on that.

Ian W":zsqtlans said:
Didn't realise my new gear came off such a clean bike.

Upgrades look very nice :cool:

It was good when i got it and i've never really hammered it (other than being on the heavy side)

I really considered selling rather than upgrading as it seemed a shame to put the new parts on but i really like the frame ride and feel.

glad they arrived btw

Back