1997 Kona Explosif -more neo retro updates

That's interesting, well for me anyway

Mine is missing the Kona logo on the seat tube, and it has the Columbus MAX OR sticker in about the same place, i wonder if that means it's a fake, a supurious production fame or if there was a change at some point?

97Page16.jpg

vs

DSC007Large.jpg

Yours is correct, the picture in the bike is actually a different frame anyway (look carefully, it's more like the earlier years frames that used the same tubing).
But that's what happens when they made changes and the catalogues come out early.

It does seem strange that it takes longer to produce the catalogue than it does to produce the bikes, but nevertheless, as Ben says, the catalogues always pre-date the bikes. Indeed the 1998 catalogue showed bikes with down tube cable routing for the rm, whereas all 1998 Konas had top tube routing. I guess they make pre-production prototypes and photograph those for the publicity shots.

At least the 1997 photos had the 1997 cable routing (also different to 1996), but as Ben says it looks as though the catalogue shot lacks the ring-shaped ends to the stays that your bike has. And I wonder whether it is just my imagination that the 1996.5 bike has more slender, tapered seatstays than yours?

Explosifs were made from Columbus Max from 1995 to 1997, The 1995 Explosif definitely had Kona butted stays and the 1997 one definitely had Columbus stays, but I have never seen the specification for the 1996 stays (of interest to me as I own a 1996 Explosif), so I don't know what stays it used. The 1996 seatstays look just like the 1996.5 frame though.

I noticed that you said that your frame really digs in for climbing. I have the same feel from the 1996 frame, which is the most direct-feeling climber I have found in a steel frame, even though it seems that they are different designs. Some people search for a Columbus Max Explosif as almost a holy grail, but then you find they're selling it soon after finding it. It's sometimes said that this is because they are too stiff, but I must say I find my 96 one stiff in the sense of a highly efficient climbing machine, but still very comfortable, still an all-day bike (and I'm as soft as they come).

Many thanks for the replies

An amazing knowledge contained within this forum for sure

With the "digs in" statement, as you say, the bike just feels like the momentum acts at an angle of 45 degrees forward/downwards rather than just pushing forward (or mostly forward) like some bikes I've riden on.

Might sound daft but it really feels more like your climbing in crampons (toe first traction)

I'll stop now to avoid the padded room, but it seems to have a distinct feel.

Another picture i found in photobucket of the chain and seat stays

DSC004Large.jpg

A few updates (all new parts i'm afraid)

DSC001Large-2.jpg

Frame: Kona Explosif 1997 (20 inch frame)

Fork: Rockshox SID Team 2010 80mm

Headset: Chris King Sotto Voce 1 1/8
Stem: Pace RC45 120mm
Handlebar: Profile carbon over alloy (Salsa Pro Moto Carbon Flat 25.4mm 11 degree sweep to go on)
Grips: Yetti (ODI X-Treme Lock On to go on)

Brakes: Shimano XTR M950
Brake Pads: Shimano XTR
Brake Cables: Shimano XTR in grey
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR M950

Shifters: Shimano XTR M970
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M971
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M972
Derailleur Cables: Shimano XTR inners and SP41 outer in grey
Cassette: Shimano XTR M970 11-32
Chain: Shimano XTR/Dura Ace chain
Cranks: Shimano XTR M970 22/32/42 teeth
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XTR hollow tech II
Pedals: Shimano XTR M970

Hub Skewers: Shimano XTR M970
Wheels: Shimano XTR M970
Tyres: Panaracer Cedric Gracia XC 2.1
Tubes: Bontreger

Saddle: Bontreger Big Earl
Seatpost: Tahoma DP 310, 27.0 mm diameter
Seatpost Binder: Woodman componets

Weight: 25.0lb’s

DSC006Large-1.jpg

DSC007Large-1.jpg

DSC005Large.jpg

DSC008Large-2.jpg

DSC002Large-2.jpg

DSC003Large-2.jpg

It's made the changing a little swifter and the extra rear cog (32 tooth) has made staying in the middle ring all ride more possible. The wheels have made acceleration notibly quicker and more of a springy ride.

Been out on it twice since the upgrades and am really loving it. It's hoped the slightly wider and backswept bar i have to go on will benefit my riding position a little (not as young as i once was).

The parts change over was conducted by a local shop (and i guy i know) but now I have a load of Park tools arriving with a hope to start to learn to maintain the bike properly myself.

The riser bar should be an improvement, but if I were you I'd be looking at the stem as well. I agree with the comments that it looks good, but aside from its ornamental value, it is basically doing two things:

1. it's making a long top tube into an extremely long/low bike, which is not necessarily good for your back
2. it's slowing down the steering, whereas the longer than standard fork really requires a shortish stem to keep it as lively as intended

It's so easy to experiment with alternative stems that it might well be worth trying a 10 or 11 cm one with the riser bar to see how it suits you.

Many thanks Anthony,

I was looking at the weekend for a slighly shorter stem that will take the 25.4 bar I have.
The reason for the tool purchase was to enable me to play about with it a bit more in the future to find what works best for my riding.

I've seen a Thompson Elite stem with a 5 degree rise and 90 or 100mm length i'm thinking one of them might be worth a try

The bars i have are flat but with a back sweep of 11 degrees so have no rise

What is the A2C of the forks in the 80mm travel setting ? Out of curiosity more than anything ?

EDIT
Answered my own question
http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/MY2 ... 20Axle.pdf

453mm +-5mm with 39mm offset.

Just comparing to my Z2 Superfly on the same frame, they have 433mm (65 to 73 mm travel depending where you look :roll: )
I have 110mm stem on, straight enough bars and that seemed fine for the once I've ridden it. Though I may be shorter up top than you (I don't know)

You know sometimes you realise in life you have so far to go :)

I may plum for the 100mm with a 5 degree rise then, i suppose it's all about trying

cheers for the education (I didn't know what A2C was until now)

The bike feels pretty fine as is, it's nice to have my (not insignificant) weight over the front more but i'd like to try it with something a bit more relaxed.

I'm 6'2 tall but am fairly long bodied (feels like a dating site now sorry)

Back