1997 Cannondale Killer V Restomod-99 Marzocchi Z.1BAM Bomber

rupertpupkin

Retro Newbie
1997 Cannondale M400 Killer V Restomod 26 inch

This bike was new to me back in 1998/1999. It was won by my aunt in a raffle. I purchased off her and rode it around a bit back then. It had a low level Rock Shox fork on it that I have never been able to identify. Had very limited travel and adjustment knobs never seemed to make a difference.

In 2008, I was riding the bike in college and bent a wheel. I decided to replace the wheelset with Mavic Crossride UB wheels and at the time I installed a new Easton EA70 Monkey Bar Riser and Stem. These small mods made it nicer to ride around campus.

The bike sat virtually unused for about the last ten years. The frame has very minor scrapes, and the components saw very little use for a bike of its age.
Fast forward to 2018. I wanted to use the bike again, but it needed some love. The current tech and standards are far from this relic. I decided to restore it and make it a color scheme I actually liked. The very loud mango and red was too much for me. I decided to strip the bike down to the frame and restore or replace every component. The frame had absolutely zero dents, or any major issues. Most of the components had some surface rust, but otherwise were in excellent shape.

I will list below, but nearly everything was replaced with newer, better components. My first task was to find a fork from that era in good shape, and that had the proper straight through 1 1/8 inch steerer with a usable length on the steerer tube. I came across a gem of a fork in this legendary Marzocchi Z.1 BAM 130mm fork from 1999. It had just a hair over the length I needed and was in excellent shape. It needed new seals and oil which was not a big deal. When I broke it down and drained the oil I am convinced it was all original oil and seals from 1999. The smaller components were all sourced from various online retailers and over the course of two months I assembled this bike.

The frame is a size small or medium and has an October 1997 date according to its serial number. Originally it was an “m400,” but was an odd frame with the V option. I am not a big person 5’6” so it fits me well. As for the people who say why not put the money into a new bike…This thing is flat out cool to me and that wasn’t the point. I am very happy with the outcome and the mix of old and new tech. Hope people enjoy this, and it will be put to good use. I plan to ride this thing and get it dirty and enjoy it. On to some photos of the whole process and a list of components.

The only original components left are:
• Frame
• Seatpost clamp
• Drivetrain (3x7) and cranks

Component List:
• 1997 Cannondale V Frame
• 1999 Marzocchi Z.1 BAM 130mm Fork
• Enduro Seals and wipers 30mm
• Spectro Golden 125/150 7.5W Oil (Original spec from Marzocchi)
• Cane Creek Forty Headset (Replaced AHeadset)
• Hope Space Doctor Headset Spacers
• Mavic Crossride UB Wheelset 26 inch
• Shimano UB 55 Bottom Bracket (Upgraded from UB27)- 68x110 Square Taper
• Shimano Deore T610 V Brakes F/R
• Shimano Revoshift Shifters 3x7
• Lizard Skin Lock on shorty grips
• Easton EA70 Monkey Bar Riser Handlebars
• Easton EA70 Seatpost
• WTB Volt Team Saddle
• SRAM Truvativ Hussefelt 40mm Stem
• Shimano SAINT MX80 Flat Pedals
• Shimano HG71 Chain
• Michelin Wild Grip’R2 26x2.1 Tires
• Schwalbe Tubes
• Shimano Deore T611 V Brake Levers
• Frame stripped and powder coated close to VW Nardo Grey- High gloss, no metallic
• Black vinyl decals by Gil from Retro Decals
• 170mm cranks powder coated semi gloss black

Attachments

• DEV_7754.jpg
    DEV_7754.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 581
  • DEV_7751.jpg
    DEV_7751.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 578
  • DEV_7750.jpg
    DEV_7750.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 578
  • DEV_7743.jpg
    DEV_7743.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 578
  • DEV_7735.jpg
    DEV_7735.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 578
  • DEV_7734.jpg
    DEV_7734.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 579
  • DEV_7732.jpg
    DEV_7732.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 582
  • DEV_7730.jpg
    DEV_7730.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 583
Re:

Save for more photos

Attachments

• IMG_5374.jpg
    IMG_5374.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_5294.jpg
    IMG_5294.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_5432.jpg
    IMG_5432.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_5504.jpg
    IMG_5504.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_5624.jpg
    IMG_5624.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_5628.jpg
    IMG_5628.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_5708.jpg
    IMG_5708.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_5789.jpg
    IMG_5789.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 577
Re:

How did you find servicing the bombers? I’ve got a 96z1 and a 99 junior t to do but reluctant as never done forks before.

Re: Re:

It was my first time doing this and it took a while being careful. I could do it again very quickly. I was careful not to strip any hardware or damage anything. The oil was like syrup, think and black, and the original seals were basically fused into the forks.

it was very messy, but easy once you understand how it is done. It helped a ton that i had the original manual for the fork. They are very well made and easy to service.

Check Enduro fork seals for the proper seals and wipers, and get the proper oil. You may find the correct manual for yours as well. Take your time and don't force anything and it should be easy!

The rebuilt fork feels and works as new and is amazing.

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/resourc ... nuals.html

Timoth27":1zeaqt24 said:
How did you find servicing the bombers? I’ve got a 96z1 and a 99 junior t to do but reluctant as never done forks before.

Re:

Thanks for that, I have the manual for the z1 so I think I just need to man up and pull them apart.

Re:

Interesting retro-mod. Looks like very usable bike :D
I'd have the brake levers over the top of the shifter cables, but that's just me.

Re: Re:

Hadn't thought of that routing, I'll have to look back at photos and see how it was before. As of right now the windows on the shifters are facing me perfectly, rotating that would change the angle. Good advice though!

And i do plan to use the bike so it will not just sit around.

jimo746":27zdvg21 said:
Interesting retro-mod. Looks like very usable bike :D
I'd have the brake levers over the top of the shifter cables, but that's just me.

Re: 1997 Cannondale Killer V Restomod- Marzocchi BAM Bomber

To be honest I love both the before and after colour schemes

But the biggest eye opener is the shocks the Rock Shox look like they belong on a kids bike

Great first project by the way

Back