1996 Trek Y11 URT pivot bushing cracked/dead rear shock (need guidance)

applesandsynths

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

My beloved 1996 Trek Y11 has seen some better days. I’m told by the bike shop that the bushing at the unified rear triangle pivot point that connects to the carbon Y frame is cracked. As such, whenever I pedal hard or force down on the cranks, there are loud cracking sounds that echo through the frame. Fairly disconcerting.

As well, the rear shock recently died on it, and seems to no longer have any pressure. I’ve since resorted to just tightening the coil as much as I can to try to effectively lock it out, but I’d rather replace the shock with something cheap and decent. I’m not sure what a good option may be? Not sure sizing etc. The current shock is a Rockshox Vanilla of some sort. Unsure if it matters but the frame is a large.

I’m hoping someone may have an idea about replacing this bushing or whatever would be causing that cracking sound at the pivot point, and where I may be able to track down the part. I’m coming up empty handed so far.

Thanks for any guidance!

Hi there
I recently rebuilt a trek Y with new bushings and a rock shox monarch and it rides great! My bushings are from a company called offset bushings, they do all sorts of bushings and custom made to any frame mine are offset so it slackens the head angle and lowers the bottom bracket too, It really improves the ride!

There is a guy that has a pivot bushing on a Facebook page called project Y too

If you want to see my build it’s here

Hi all,

My beloved 1996 Trek Y11 has seen some better days. I’m told by the bike shop that the bushing at the unified rear triangle pivot point that connects to the carbon Y frame is cracked. As such, whenever I pedal hard or force down on the cranks, there are loud cracking sounds that echo through the frame. Fairly disconcerting.

As well, the rear shock recently died on it, and seems to no longer have any pressure. I’ve since resorted to just tightening the coil as much as I can to try to effectively lock it out, but I’d rather replace the shock with something cheap and decent. I’m not sure what a good option may be? Not sure sizing etc. The current shock is a Rockshox Vanilla of some sort. Unsure if it matters but the frame is a large.

I’m hoping someone may have an idea about replacing this bushing or whatever would be causing that cracking sound at the pivot point, and where I may be able to track down the part. I’m coming up empty handed so far.

Thanks for any guidance!
Hi, did you get your shock sorted? I have some suggestions if not!

Hi, did you get your shock sorted? I have some suggestions if not!
Hey hey!

I actually haven't sorted it or spent any time on it. I actually put in an order for a new gravel bike, but I feel like it may never arrive :)

Definitely open to your suggestions! Trying to keep things fairly economical since I likely won't be riding the Y-11 too much.

Thanks for your help!

Hi there
I recently rebuilt a trek Y with new bushings and a rock shox monarch and it rides great! My bushings are from a company called offset bushings, they do all sorts of bushings and custom made to any frame mine are offset so it slackens the head angle and lowers the bottom bracket too, It really improves the ride!

There is a guy that has a pivot bushing on a Facebook page called project Y too

If you want to see my build it’s here
Hey beanfield1980,

Thanks for replying! I'm finally getting around to trying to action this as the frame cracking sounds are becoming to be unbearable.

I'm wondering if you have the specs for the bushings you ordered from Offset Bushings? Do you know if the size varies by bike frame size? I believe mine is a large or XL but I'm not quite sure. I'm not exactly sure what to ask/look for. I think I may prefer as close to stock as possible, unless you highly recommend your offset versions, then I'd be up for trying those instead too.

Thanks!

Hey hey!

I actually haven't sorted it or spent any time on it. I actually put in an order for a new gravel bike, but I feel like it may never arrive :)

Definitely open to your suggestions! Trying to keep things fairly economical since I likely won't be riding the Y-11 too much.

Thanks for your help!
Hey right back!

The most economical solution is to find someone on here willing to send you, for almost no money, an OEM shock from a Y-bike they've got lying around. It happens! So keep posting. :)

Beyond that, having gone through this, I can tell you that you need a shock with a 6.5" eye-to-eye measurement, and, depending on the features you need/want, this might be your best bet and isn't bad at $99:

DNM Damping 3 System Mountain Bike Air Rear Shock Rebound/Lock Out/Air Pressure Adjustable AL 7005 Shark/AL 6061 Shock Body 165mm (6.5") x 35mm 190mm (7.48") x 50mm 200mm (7.87") x 55mm

This one is even cheaper ($55) and likely closer to the original spec, it has a spring and an air canister:

DNM Damping 2 System Mountain Bike Rear Shock Rebound/Preload Anodized AL 6061 Coil Spring 750 Lbs 165mm (6.5") x 35mm 190mm (7.48") x 50mm 200mm (7.87") x 55mm

The first is superior in that it is more adjustable, I can explain those settings if you want. The DNM shocks get a bad rap among the hard core enthusiasts out there, I was shamed on a local forum when I suggested getting one for my Y11 (lol) ... and ended up lucking out and finding this super nice Fox Float RP2 that I'm really happy with, for $120 + tax & shipping:

The other thing to keep in mind is the mounting bushings, they can be tricky to get in and out, I was able to re-use the ones from my old shock on the new Fox.

Also note these bushings are different from the swingarm bushings I believe you are also seeking to replace. FWIW, I got this image from someone on Facebook's Y-Bike group (it's called "Project Y"), it lists the original part numbers for what I think are our Y-11s, but I am not sure.

Hope this helps!

-kj-

Attachments

• Bushings.jpg
    Bushings.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 3
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back