1996 Trek Y 22 nude before & after

old_banger":lw8at7x0 said:
That's nice ! Love the look of those Tamer hubs....looks like some pearl finish on some old Tama drum shells :D

May I know what resulted in the failure of your Stratos Pro shocks? Failure due to age/ wear & tear or leaking air/ oil seals? I am running one of those shocks on a Y bike now and hoping to learn more of the common failures associated with them. My holds up pressure pretty well and has been on the bike all its life. Not much alternatives for the replacement shock if they do fail unless I go for the likes of 165mm shocks like Risse racing (heard that was supposed to be the shock specc'd for the Y before production & they still have applications for the Y models) , Fox RP??.

Cheers & enjoy your ride !
Seems the seals just failed from age. I could get another if I wanted to seek it out.
After reading some more after the failure, I encountered some info that claimed that the Y 22 was not sufficiently reinforced @ the thru-bolt area of the frame to safely allow the use of a remote lock-out. Apparently the Y's that came stock w/ remote lock-out, rear shocks were reinforced in this area. Have you heard this?

P.S.- I was also looking at the Reisse as 34henry3w posted a link ystrdy on his Pro Flex thread: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

BG":27u8zuy4 said:
The front bit of the Trek Y frames are an OCLV monocoque carbon. The Cannondale Raven is the one with the cast magnesium spine. The Trek does have a lifetime waranty though if you're the original owner.
I thought I remembered seeing a cut-away of a Y bike and there was a supporting lattice under the carbon. Not sure. BTW- I like the advert w/ Tinker Juarez :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinker_Juarez

dmccart2":q5tcx33l said:
Seems the seals just failed from age. I could get another if I wanted to seek it out.
After reading some more after the failure, I encountered some info that claimed that the Y 22 was not sufficiently reinforced @ the thru-bolt area of the frame to safely allow the use of a remote lock-out. Apparently the Y's that came stock w/ remote lock-out, rear shocks were reinforced in this area. Have you heard this?

P.S.- I was also looking at the Reisse as 34henry3w posted a link ystrdy on his Pro Flex thread: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Thanks for the info ! I noticed there was no difference on the shock mounts on the frame between the earlier pre 1998 Trek Y 22/ 33/ 50. No noticeable difference i noticed between the model with or without the rear shocks with lockout . The shock mounts on the post 1998 were improved somewhat together with the frame design.

If you have a chance to try out those Risse shocks do update on the how they hold up ya? Risse do have a few options for the various Trek Y series frames from their website.

Regards & have a nice weekend :D

I mean the area directly behind the steertube where a bolt passes through the frame. This bolt attaches cable stops on one side (bike w/o stock remote lock-out rear shock) and on both sides on bikes that came stock w/ rear remote lock-out. The sleeve-area, where the bolt passes through the frame at this point, was apparently reinforced on bikes that came w/ the stock, remote lock-out feature. Confusing. I know. But I'm a tech geek and like to read about all possible alterations to bikes and their benefits/consequences. Mine seemed to function fine w/ the remote lockout installed before the seals failed on my rear shock. My concern was that I was stressing the frame, w/ the lock-out cable stop I had to install, on the lock-out side of the frame. I used a dura ace cable stop where there used to be just a clear plastic washer.

Here's how it looks after installing a cable stop behind steer-tube:

Attachments

• 22f 1.jpg
    22f 1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 2,922
  • CIMG1289 1.jpg
    CIMG1289 1.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 2,922
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 2,918
old_banger":stc0k221 said:
That's nice ! Love the look of those Tamer hubs....looks like some pearl finish on some old Tama drum shells :D

May I know what resulted in the failure of your Stratos Pro shocks? Failure due to age/ wear & tear or leaking air/ oil seals? I am running one of those shocks on a Y bike now and hoping to learn more of the common failures associated with them. My holds up pressure pretty well and has been on the bike all its life. Not much alternatives for the replacement shock if they do fail unless I go for the likes of 165mm shocks like Risse racing (heard that was supposed to be the shock specc'd for the Y before production & they still have applications for the Y models) , Fox RP??.

Cheers & enjoy your ride !
I see them come up on EBay sometimes in NOS condition. My issue, right now, is funds. I'm a cautious rider & I only weigh 160 lbs so I suspect the Strata Shock Pro just failed from age. I bought it used on EBay

dmccart2":38fvecyv said:
I mean the area directly behind the steertube where a bolt passes through the frame. This bolt attaches cable stops on one side (bike w/o stock remote lock-out rear shock) and on both sides on bikes that came stock w/ rear remote lock-out. The sleeve-area, where the bolt passes through the frame at this point, was apparently reinforced on bikes that came w/ the stock, remote lock-out feature. Confusing. I know. But I'm a tech geek and like to read about all possible alterations to bikes and their benefits/consequences. Mine seemed to function fine w/ the remote lockout installed before the seals failed on my rear shock. My concern was that I was stressing the frame, w/ the lock-out cable stop I had to install, on the lock-out side of the frame. I used a dura ace cable stop where there used to be just a clear plastic washer.

Here's how it looks after installing a cable stop behind steer-tube:

Hi dmccart2, I get what you mean now....those factory cable stops/guides that came stock on the Y33/ 50s with the external lockout shocks on the front end of the frames and the Y22s without the factory cable stop installed but with the hole on the drive side of the frame. Do you by any chance know the Max air pressure for those Stratos strata/ Pro shocks ? It would be very much appreciated if you could steer me in the right direction to any available online information or scanned copies of the manual if any. Just wana make sure I keep within the Max pressure as recommended by the now defunct Stratos.

Regards ;)

BG":1i01dg5p said:
User manual is here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153141

I scanned it in a while back and zigzag helpfully placed it in the right spot.

My strtatos isn't holding air either - just figure it's old.

Good luck with yours.

Hey BG ! Thank you very much. Valuable info there on the shocks. Appreciate it! By the way if yours leaks gradually it may be internal worn seals or just the valve core on the schrader valve which is cheap fix & can be replaced easily ( judging by the age of these shocks, the rubber on the valve core may have be hardened by now). Worth a try if you can have a spare valve core from automotive tyre shops?

Have a nice weekend ;)

Re:

Nice bike! I own a white Y22, they are such lovely bikes! So far no problems with the shocks but mine doesn't have a remote!

Back