1996 Merlin XLM

Why does everyone pick on the poor brakes? :( I feel sorry for them. They're such nice, smooth AVIDs. :D

The Nitto Jaguar will be swapped with a longer 250mm version as this one is a little short for me.

Elev12k":12r07u5v said:
Certainly tend to like the Nitto parts and also the Brooks. Not a fan of the brakes however.

The pedal warmers are the best ;)

shanghai":32duceth said:
What do you have in store for the Merlin? It's gonna take me a week in your candy store. :shock:

Sidekick416":32duceth said:
Shanghai...

think u'll need to visit me soon ! ;)

heh heh....

big ass Tange forks ?
Syncros bars ?
Hyperlites ?

That's a beauty. Personally I'm not a fan of bar-ends; they always look like an afterthought to me. Dumping them would also lose weight. I feel that when you're in the uber-bling level of retro-ness as your bike you can resort to what was bling/reliable back then like Middleburn Duo chainsets and Pace RC36s.
For the cockpit I'd go lightweight/reliable again either thumbies with Ritchey foam grips or Mk II ( non-shattering " smokey coloured " ) X-Ray Gripshifters. The perch surely has to be a Flite ti.

Hope this helps.

Hi!

I love the Brooks saddle on this bike. I would get some brown leather grips, too. XTR V brakes would be a good solution. Their color would fit this frame better and you don't have to worry about changing too much.
..and speaking of colors..of course you could put on matching socks too..these ones are clearly too dark. :D

Cheers,

Adam

Back