1996 Marin Nail Trail Overhaul

Good observation!

Koolstop pads make all the difference and an extreme calibration - can't tell you how many hours I spent. The pads are literally 1mm away from the rims which results in about 1cm lever room before the wheel locks. To be honest, they are slightly better than the disk in the front. The Avid breaks and the Tektro cable thing also help.

Actually on this bike, the biggest problem is the front deraileur - since my shifter is 3x and only have 2 chainrings in the front I had to play with the limits and tension for hours till I got the chain to semi-rub. It still does... if adjust it so it doesn't, it would jump out of the cog. I've put probably over 6 hours total and still can't get it to work properly.

npn":16tsrtko said:
Don't bike? I found a sweet Marin in your town btw

You found one in my home town? Do tell. I just picked up a 99 Team Marin. I'm looking for a fork for it at the moment.

If memory serves I believe there was once a brake leaver set that had a pin that could be a moved to another position to accommodate either V or canti brakes. Can someone confirm this? It might make your life easier if you plan to ride this bike regularly.

Re:

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/d/ma ... 37437.html

I asked the person to ship it, but they wouldn't.

While Palisades Trail wasn't a high end bike, this one is in great condition and it could be gotten for less than $200!

Lhatch4":17tctz9k said:
npn":17tctz9k said:
Don't bike? I found a sweet Marin in your town btw

You found one in my home town? Do tell. I just picked up a 99 Team Marin. I'm looking for a fork for it at the moment.

Pics?

Lhatch4":17tctz9k said:
If memory serves I believe there was once a brake leaver set that had a pin that could be a moved to another position to accommodate either V or canti brakes. Can someone confirm this? It might make your life easier if you plan to ride this bike regularly.

Not on the shifter/break lever combo I got on that bike.

That is close to me. My daughter goes to school in that town. The bike it too small for me (I need a large). Where are you? I could possibly ship if for you.

2.5 seasons later, and here's my overall opinion:

One amazing bike! There's something about the frame - it flexes little bit more that my other bikes. Not sure if this is good or bad, but it feels more solid (I know, counterintuitive) like it-won't-break solid and compared to my other recent project which feels very rigid.

The Judy Tora 100MM did make the angle slacker and brought the BB up. Honestly, I have not noticed a problem with the steering, but I have noticed somewhat discomfort, a feeling of something being off in regards to the pedals: If I want to have my legs properly extended on the pedals, then I have trouble reaching the ground. So I've compromised - if I go light XC riding, I pull the seat up, and if I go more single track 8/10 rating MTB, I lower the seat so I can safely reach the ground.

Notice the Ritchey WCS Alloy Riser Mountain Handlebar 740mm - I had to cut them twice reducing the length until it suited me best. That alone improved handling.

Back