1996 Kona Hot decisions decisions

Tallpaul":366j7pxq said:
Jones":366j7pxq said:
Came all packed up in its original Kona box NOS with dog collar, guess they were just covering all bases ;)

The 1996 frames weren't spec'd with V-stops. It appears that whoever ordered this frame asked for one to be added.

It may have been an option to have V-stops, but Jones doesn't have the only 1996 Hot with them. There was another post a while ago with questions about the stops on '96 frames but I can't find it right now. Sorry about the cruddy cell phone pic of my beat up '96 Hot.

IMAG1630.jpg

The other high-end 96 Konas were designed for Maguras, but also came with a dog collar for owners who prefered cantis (and you can also convert the Magura guides to work as V-cable stops with rear mech barrel adjusters).

In the catalogue the Hot and Ku are shown with cantis and dog collars and there are no Magura guides visible. As they were built in the USA and had custom paint to specific order, there would be no problem in adding a V-cable stop before a frame was painted. Both XTR and XT had V-brakes for the 1996 model year, and most manufacturers offered them on their high-end 96 models, available from late 1995. Kona was often slow to accept new Shimano advances.

Stunning frame this, l wondered when you would build it up Jones. :cool:

l remember trying to stay up til 3am in the morn to bid on this! :LOL:

Monkeeee01":1ufyphjx said:
Oh Matt

You disappoint me, I would have pumped my self full of Coffee to stay up for this frame

:LOL: l know, nos as well! Still its great to see it on the forum :cool:

You need to update your signature Gaz ;)

Beautiful frame! My choice would be to build it with XT 739 v's. I've just finished a 1998 Kona Explosif 853 build which has lots of polished 739, a blue frame, blue bombers and lots of anno blue. Didn't sound like it was going to work, but now its all together, I love the look and get loads of positive comments. So a red frame, red forks, polished 739 and lots of red anno should work also in my books. :cool:

Attachments

• retrobike 853.JPG
    retrobike 853.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 518
  • 96XT.jpg
    96XT.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 515
Back