1996 GT Pantera.. Knowledge?

When i bought the lathe, it came with all sorts of goodies..
A 3 jaw self centering.
A 4 jaw independant.
A 4 jaw self centering.
A vertical milling slide.
A fixed steady + a traveling steady.
Loads n loads of tooling, reamers, drill bits.
2 tailstock chucks.
Live centers & dead centers.
Tap n die sets in all sorts of weird sizes.
A faceplate & dogs.
Spare drive belts.
Even a set of spanners for the lathe.

Mind you, i did have to travel to the dark side of the moon to collect it all.. Well.. Scotland.
Just need a milling machine now ๐Ÿ˜‰
Sounds like a nice happy deal! Mine was bought and delivered for ยฃ100.....so nur!๐Ÿ˜
However 5 days of pulling it to pieces hand scraping bed fettling gib strips....tinkering with half nut, reducing backlash, bushing gears to remove slop....I've come to the realisation there's no such thing as a cheap lathe ๐Ÿ˜†
Came with 4 tools and two boxes of tips tho!๐Ÿ˜
I'll be less keen more cautious when I get a mill ๐Ÿ˜†

Sounds like a nice happy deal! Mine was bought and delivered for ยฃ100.....so nur!๐Ÿ˜
However 5 days of pulling it to pieces hand scraping bed fettling gib strips....tinkering with half nut, reducing backlash, bushing gears to remove slop....I've come to the realisation there's no such thing as a cheap lathe ๐Ÿ˜†
Came with 4 tools and two boxes of tips tho!๐Ÿ˜
I'll be less keen more cautious when I get a mill ๐Ÿ˜†
To be fair, my ways could do with a regrind.. I hear there's a firm in Halifax that do it, but it will have to wait until i get some spends.
ยฃ100 has got to be a bargain ๐Ÿ‘ it cost me more than that in diesle to collect mine.

To be fair, my ways could do with a regrind.. I hear there's a firm in Halifax that do it, but it will have to wait until i get some spends.
ยฃ100 has got to be a bargain ๐Ÿ‘ it cost me more than that in diesle to collect mine.
For what it's cost and what it's done so far I'm not grumbling....spare parts are non existent so it's a stop gap till something comes along a bit more modern ...this century would be nice ๐Ÿ˜†

For what it's cost and what it's done so far I'm not grumbling....spare parts are non existent so it's a stop gap till something comes along a bit more modern ...this century would be nice ๐Ÿ˜†
Lol. I feel your pain ๐Ÿ˜.
Mine is a Drummond 3 1/2 Mtype.
It was made in 1941.. Mind you, it's not out of place in my man cave, it fits in well with my Walker Turner "the driver" pillar drill, also made in 1941.
(And no, i didn't buy them new..Lol).

Find an old broken rear derailleur. Unscrew the barrel adjuster and remove it. Take the metal inside part of the barrel adjuster (remove the spring and outer plastic part). Insert the narrow end into the braze-on under to top tub by the triple triangle. Route your cable housing from the wide end of the barrel adjuster bit to the V-brake.

Find an old broken rear derailleur. Unscrew the barrel adjuster and remove it. Take the metal inside part of the barrel adjuster (remove the spring and outer plastic part). Insert the narrow end into the braze-on under to top tub by the triple triangle. Route your cable housing from the wide end of the barrel adjuster bit to the V-brake.
Wish id have thought of that before i spent 5hrs this afternoon, basically machining up, something very similar to what you suggest.. Bugger ๐Ÿ˜ณ.
Thanks Lhatch4 ๐Ÿ‘

Lol. I feel your pain ๐Ÿ˜.
Mine is a Drummond 3 1/2 Mtype.
It was made in 1941.. Mind you, it's not out of place in my man cave, it fits in well with my Walker Turner "the driver" pillar drill, also made in 1941.
(And no, i didn't buy them new..Lol).
Ooh war time build....might of done a bit of service๐Ÿ‘ mines either just before or after the war... thing called a Winfield.... actually half competent now I've flatted the cross slide ways a couple of days ago and now it's giving 1.5 thou over 5" accuracy...still can't get what I would call a finish on steel...it's 3 speeds that's your lot ๐Ÿ˜†

Wish id have thought of that before i spent 5hrs this afternoon, basically machining up, something very similar to what you suggest.. Bugger ๐Ÿ˜ณ.
Thanks Lhatch4 ๐Ÿ‘
Yes simply insert tab A into slot B and it's V-brake ready.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220829-143836_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220829-143836_Samsung Internet.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 5
  • look-gt-xizang-titanium-mountain-bike_1_30dafa5fc7fe667a45153189fd2042db.jpg
    look-gt-xizang-titanium-mountain-bike_1_30dafa5fc7fe667a45153189fd2042db.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back