1996 GT Pantera.. Knowledge?

Lee_Lancs

Retro Newbie
Hi guy's, I'm restoring a 1996 Pantera, all is going well, but I've hit a bit of a "how the hell" stage in the rebuild..
I've got the Vbrakes fitted to the front 👍, and, I'm now on to fitting the rear brake cable, but, my 96' was originally fitted with canti's, so there arn't any braze on's to hold the outer cable, only 2 "guides" which originally held a length of plastic tubing to guide the brake cable around the seat tube..
I know some of you lot will have come across this problem before, so can you tell me how you sorted this "head scratcher" that i have..??
Cheers folks 👍

Hi guy's, I'm restoring a 1996 Pantera, all is going well, but I've hit a bit of a "how the hell" stage in the rebuild..
I've got the Vbrakes fitted to the front 👍, and, I'm now on to fitting the rear brake cable, but, my 96' was originally fitted with canti's, so there arn't any braze on's to hold the outer cable, only 2 "guides" which originally held a length of plastic tubing to guide the brake cable around the seat tube..
I know some of you lot will have come across this problem before, so can you tell me how you sorted this "head scratcher" that i have..??
Cheers folks 👍
So you've got the guide under top tube where the rear seat stays meet that is riveted on and the one on the side of seat tube?
If so you'll need a little ferrule stop for the one underside of toptube and just bypass/ignore the seat tube straight to noodle 👍

So you've got the guide under top tube where the rear seat stays meet that is riveted on and the one on the side of seat tube?
If so you'll need a little ferrule stop for the one underside of toptube and just bypass/ignore the seat tube straight to noodle 👍
Hiya Mickeysinn, thanks for your reply..
There is a braze on near the head tube, to carry the rear brake outer cable, it is ally welded to the frame about 3.5in from where the headtube joins the downtube, then there is a run of bare brake cable, which goes to an ally braze on to the underside of the toptube, within the small triangle.
Originally the frame was fitted with a 5in length of ptfe tube, to guide the cable inner from this braze on, around the seat tube to the canti cable (pictures attatched).
As you can see, the holes in these 2 braze on's are elongated, so a normal cable end just slides through..
I'm thinking i may need to designe/make some kind of inserts, to fit inside these elongated braze on slots?

Hiya Mickeysinn, thanks for your reply..
There is a braze on near the head tube, to carry the rear brake outer cable, it is ally welded to the frame about 3.5in from where the headtube joins the downtube, then there is a run of bare brake cable, which goes to an ally braze on to the underside of the toptube, within the small triangle.
Originally the frame was fitted with a 5in length of ptfe tube, to guide the cable inner from this braze on, around the seat tube to the canti cable (pictures attatched).
As you can see, the holes in these 2 braze on's are elongated, so a normal cable end just slides through..
I'm thinking i may need to designe/make some kind of inserts, to fit inside these elongated braze on slots?

Attachments

• 20220829_113721.jpg
    20220829_113721.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220829_113738.jpg
    20220829_113738.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 13
Yup same set up as mine although it mine is backwoods ...Ive just fitted cantis on to too.
so the two bits aren't actually stops just guides.
I can make one up for you if you like wouldn't take long on my lathe!?

Yup same set up as mine although it mine is backwoods ...Ive just fitted cantis on to too.
Looks like great minds actually do think alike afterall..
Ive just fired up my old girl 😁

Attachments

• 16617778210956167792509578378501.jpg
    16617778210956167792509578378501.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 8
Nice chuck btw....mines a bugger....or more likely just buggered 😆
When i bought the lathe, it came with all sorts of goodies..
A 3 jaw self centering.
A 4 jaw independant.
A 4 jaw self centering.
A vertical milling slide.
A fixed steady + a traveling steady.
Loads n loads of tooling, reamers, drill bits.
2 tailstock chucks.
Live centers & dead centers.
Tap n die sets in all sorts of weird sizes.
A faceplate & dogs.
Spare drive belts.
Even a set of spanners for the lathe.

Mind you, i did have to travel to the dark side of the moon to collect it all.. Well.. Scotland.
Just need a milling machine now 😉

Back