1996 Explosif in need of re-alignment

2manyoranges":38e2f5yd said:
Where are you in London. I had a steel frame retracked by Herne Hill Cycles and they did a good job. Very messed up rear triangle: niece rode in Cambodia and Laos, then flew back to Heathrow. No bike. Next day - 'where's my bike, BA?' - "In vancouver'. 'Right...when will it be coming back then...' 'Tomorrow'. Two days later 'where's my bike BA?' - 'In Chile, Santiago'. (You couldn't make it up), A week later, back in London with a completely mangled rear triangle. Brixton Bikes said 'you need a new frame' to my neice. I said 'it's salvageable...but don't watch them retrack it'. 'Why?' '....because 9 foot scaffolding poles are involved...and lots of welly....'

Two days later: perfect rear triangle, no paint flaking, all joints good, and that frame did thousands more miles in Asia, South America and the most hostile environment going, South London.

I've certainly filed dropouts in the past. But I would suggest that in this case - since you used 'Sheldon's String' I would go with re-tracking. Once filed, you can't put the metal back in the dropouts. Makes the frame lighter, though.

That's a good story and very useful! I'm up in Walthamstow (not far from Epping hence the tyre choice on the Explosif)! I'll get in touch with Herne Hill Cycles and will see if we can work something out. Ordinarily I'd strip the frame down and hop on the tube to Brixton. Not such a good idea in current circumstances though. If I can ride the bike there and have them sort it while I wait then that could be a goer. Thanks for the recommendation!

Re: Re:

MR OX":1n76kdsg said:
Stupid question but it is a 135 hub & not a 130?

Not a stupid question, a good one!

I've always assumed it's a 135 as when I bought the bike it had a modern deore hub fitted which would certainly have been 135, and the hope hub is exactly the right width for the dropouts - no flexing required to fit the wheel. I'll check it with the calipers when I get a chance though, just to be sure.

Re:

frame is 135, or should be ;-)
it's the hub that could have been 130 (not common with hope MTB) and it has been bent to fit... but from what you say I guess not.

Desirable (valuable) frame and if Herne Hill Cycles have a good rep then go for it. I'm sure they've seen a thin-tubed frame or three. They'll see a nice frame and treat it as such, even with scaffold poles.
I have a similar, not quite as bad, (more of an offset) issue on the forks of one of my bikes, but it rides well and I rearranged the spacing as best I could and left it. Could dish the front wheel a tad I suppose but I can't be bothered. Don't think you have that option though, and I doubt you'll have enough drop-out to play filey-filey with and stay aligned decently. All the best anyway.

Back