1996 Diamond Back Apex

ultrazenith":qlcjxjm5 said:
I wouldn't change my 96 Apex for anything else (except perhaps for some high end British steel like a Roberts), it rides beautifully and is a no-nonsense, relatively lightweight bike. But I always did feel slightly disappointed with it. Something weird happened in 1996. The 94 model that my best friend rode, which inspired my to choose a DB Apex when the time came to get a completely new bike, was specced very well indeed -- almost all Deore LX except for the STX hubs, a Titec Bontrager bar, and of course the premium tubing. But not only did the 96 model have AVR tubing, the groupset was an odd mix of LX (rear hub, cassette, rear mech), STX (front mech), Sugino chainset, Quando front hub, SRT600 gripshift (eurgh!) and no-name Chinese cantis and levers. I love the colour, though, which has to be one my favourites. Despite my initial reservations about some of the parts, I found it did all work and I did a couple of XC races on it to break it in, but before too long I upgraded some of the least appealing parts with V-brakes or other slightly more preferred parts I had lying around after the demise of my 93 M Trax.
I think they seemed to fold down a few corners to save costs at times. My 95 Apex was almost entirely LX (hubs, mechs, shifters, brakes) 'cept the chainset was a Sugino - which, oddly, I quite like.

ultrazenith":qlcjxjm5 said:
Since you've ridden several different DB Apex and Axis tubesets, I'd be interested to know whether the is any appreciable improvement from AVR to the Axis framesets?
I reasonably regularly ride my 91 Apex, 91 Axis and 95 Apex. I suppose I feel most at home on my 91 Apex (with the AVR frameset) since that's what I did most of my riding on BITD. It just feels right - the geometry and riding position suit me, and whilst the early 90s bikes weren't the lightest, it just feels so placeable, whilst still reasonably nimble.

The TT-Lite frames are definitely lighter. When riding my 95 Apex, it does feel light, snappy - very nicely laid out. As a frame (and forks) I'd say my favourite to ride - it just feels like an evolution of a decently proportioned bike, with a frame that's just that bit lighter. If I was to do some touring, though - with racks, and some load, it'd be the 91 Apex, without doubt (not lest of all, because my bikes with the TT-Lite frames have no mounts, drilled seatstay bridges, or anything like that.

I've got 2 OX framed Axis - but the 92 one isn't yet finished, but I've ridden the 91 Axis quite a lot - it's what I tend to ride most of the time, now. Still not as light or snappy as the TT-Lite frames, perhaps slightly lighter than the AVR frames. The tubes on the 91 Axis are a fair amount more oversize than the AVR frames from that year (91 Apex takes a 27.0 seatpost, 91 Axis takes a 30.4mm). So whereas I'd characterise the 91 Apex as having a sporty feel to it, the Axis has a sort of less forgiving, stiffer, more racey feel to it.

Being sentimental, the 91 Apex is the one that's perhaps most special to me, and the one I'd choose if I was out for a few days; the 95 Apex is perhaps the best one to ride - say for a day long ride; and the 91 Axis feels the most purposeful, and the one I'd pick if I was damn fool enough to enter a race.

All this talk of DB's. ahh

I was very fond of my 92 Apex, full DX which was specced to LX in 93 iirc. Though LX was arguably better than Dx by then which was looking old in the tooth. The geometry went to racier & sloping t/t in 92, pre that they were more sturdy & all rounders, as said great for touring or trail hacking.

Epic bikes with such character at the time.

Funny, the 94 Axis was full M737, the 96 mostly M737/9 with Sugino chainset and SRT800 gripshit, although both had the same frame, so definite cost reductions there. I ride them and my WCF all the time. It has to be said the WCF is the best frame I've ever ridden though. Something about the flex properties make it feel fast and responsive. Not that the Axis don't.

I think you need to remove the SRAM and the tyres to get that looking beautiful again in my eyes ;)

I just had a minor disaster when trying to fit a rather nice Deore DX steel seat post to the Apex. It turns out the seat tube diameter is not 27.0 as I had assumed, but a is a few tenths of a mm smaller. I'm guessing this is on account of the slightly thicker walled AVR tubing used on this frame. If anybody knows the diameter, I'd be very grateful to know :)

There's not a great deal of info I've been able to find about AVR tubing in the web, but it appears (based on just one result, so not enough to be sure yet) to be 26.6 mm. Sadly I don't have an accurate instrument to measure my own seat post, and the size that would have been stamped on the post can no longer be read.

Fortunately my current build, a 1991 Haro Extreme Comp, will take a 27.0 post, and my DX post would look great there too.

ultrazenith":1zmz7o4i said:
I just had a minor disaster when trying to fit a rather nice Deore DX steel seat post to the Apex. It turns out the seat tube diameter is not 27.0 as I had assumed, but a is a few tenths of a mm smaller. I'm guessing this is on account of the slightly thicker walled AVR tubing used on this frame. If anybody knows the diameter, I'd be very grateful to know :)

There's not a great deal of info I've been able to find about AVR tubing in the web, but it appears (based on just one result, so not enough to be sure yet) to be 26.6 mm. Sadly I don't have an accurate instrument to measure my own seat post, and the size that would have been stamped on the post can no longer be read.

Fortunately my current build, a 1991 Haro Extreme Comp, will take a 27.0 post, and my DX post would look great there too.
I was going to say - just check that the seat collar hasn't been previously overtightened - but then I remember a couple of things - you've had this from new, and that looks like the stock collar, anyways.

I think there's been some variance in the odd model. My 91 Apex (AVR framed) takes 27.0, as do my 2 x 95 Apex (TT-Lite frames) - and uncannily, I run Deore DX seatposts in them all.

I actually run a Deore DX seatpost in my 91 Axis, too (it normally takes 30.4 seatposts) but I use a USE thermoplastic shim to take a 27.0 seatpost up to 30.4.

And yes, I did buy / hoard one, two, or possibly several Deore DX seatposts over the past few years!

DX seatposts are things of beauty, aren't they :)

Yes, I've had the seat collar and Avenir post (which fits perfectly) since new. According to my tape measure, the circumference of my 27.0 DX post and the Avenir post differ by roughly 1 mm, meaning their diameters will differ by a few tenths of a mm. I wouldn't really mind leaving the Avenir post on, but the clamps at the head of the post are badly worn, making it impossible to get the right angle for the saddle (as you probably noticed in the photos, my saddle is set at a slightly uncomfortable angle...).

Re:

After solid service these last few years, it's time to say goodbye to the Apex. One final photo before starting to break it down, for partial re-use on my new project, the Rourke 853.

20150108_103129.jpg

Back