1996 & 2012 Olympics mountain bikes: Weapons of choice

Re: 1996 & 2012 Olympics mountain bikes: Weapons of choi

GT-Steve":2lpktq2p said:
God, are they all going to look the same???

surely that is evolution - there is only ever going to be one best design. i would tout F1 as an example where all the cars look the same (there are also rules that comne into play but it should be possible to design a totally different looking car tht still meets the rules) - in the olden days, even up to the 70s, cars would look quite different.

whilst there are many different and wonderful retro bike designs, consider them the dinosaurs that did not make it.

some may say that is a bad thing, others say it is a good thing and the rest say what was the middle choice.

In 1996, I remember Thomas Frischknecht, in first place for a lot of laps, with a very classic steel ritchey bike ! Only a RockShox fork
1.jpg

No carbon fiber and ugly 29". Sunn's Martinez was titanium made an Brentjens was aluminum
:D

24pouces":150z5um2 said:
In 1996, I remember Thomas Frischknecht, in first place for a lot of laps, with a very classic steel ritchey bike ! Only a RockShox fork
1.jpg
Two equipment points to note:

1. the Judy SL looks like a 97, which makes sense as they were about to go on sale in August 96. Although you say it was only a RockShox, it was probably the best fork available at that time. Having said it looks like a 97, the 96 was lighter and it could actually be a 96 with 97 stickers, which would have made him popular with the RockShox marketing men!

2. he has canti brakes, even though Vs had been out for a year by then, but I believe I've read that was a personal preference of his.

Thanks for the photo!

Back