1996 & 2012 Olympics mountain bikes: Weapons of choice

Danone

Devout Dirtbag
The olympic mountain biking event is tomorrow, i thought i'd cast my mind back to Atlanta 1996. I've found very little spec information about the bikes used on this day.

Mountain biking was a little known sport to the mainstream before it made it's olympic debut at the 1996 summer olympics. High end equipment was hard to find and in my case usually acquired through mail order as there were few bike shops near me! I remember looking at some of the setups on the bikes used by the competitors that day, simple yet unique and much of the gear seemed difficult to obtain then as it does now.

Which brings me to London 2012 where it seems the riders have opted for 29 inch wheels, a two front gear ratio, carbon frame and forks quite athe trend on the trails these days probably why my older bike turns more heads. ;)

I don't remember anything too crazy as far as bikes in 1996. Cannondale riders had custom painted frames for their country. But builds were mostly Judy Sl's, M950 XTR. Bart B. had the Rond? fork and Maggies.

Edit: Just remembered it was the start of the semi-slick tire trend.

Wasn't it Bart Brentjens who won the mens race? was he on a Proflex? maybe that was Djernis??

Re: 1996 & 2012 Olympics mountain bikes: Weapons of choi

Danone":3jpyepxx said:
Which brings me to London 2012 where it seems the riders have opted for 29 inch wheels, a two front gear ratio, carbon frame and forks quite athe trend on the trails these days probably why my older bike turns more heads. ;)

God, are they all going to look the same???

Cheers for these posts Danone, dunno about little known sport in 96 I've had a hell of a job finding any info on the 2012 MTB racing.

Bikes are all a bit dull, call me an old Retrohead but 29ers with small frames just look like my Dad's old touring bike from the 80s to me !

Back