1995 Rocky Mountain Suzi Q - Canadian Unobtainium

I'd be surprised if Bailey made those,
I've heared that later (Alu) Edge, Speed and also the few Suzi Q frames had Easton HBO (Hand Built Only) tube sets and have been indeed welded in Canada, but agree, maybe not by Derek Bailey.

Last edited:
Actually I think I remember, it may be thinking of the special frame he made for a show. It been 10 or so years since...

@BC may be able to confirm.

He did make MTBs though, usually the Tantalus in the early 90s, sometimes with the full name or Bill B, plus other special one offs like the Weasel, using BILL B on them.
Not sure but probably always the lugged version.

He had been sticking tubes together forever by then

Actually I think I remember, it may be thinking of the special frame he made for a show. It been 10 or so years since...

@BC may be able to confirm.
Do you mean this cracy frame shown e.g. at Eurobike show 1994 called Billy B?
1000031596.jpg
I think this was indeed never done in serial production, while there was at least a batch of Suzi Q frames produced.
But if you look a the picture you may understand the reason why.

Anyway, looking forward to see soon more of this Suzi Q build.

I remember back in the day seeing a Suzi Q outside Toronto with an Amp fork. Probably broke a long time ago, such a cool frame.

Yes that one, Billy B is his name.

Ok found some more out for you.
It was all Derek's idea, he designed and made the Suzi Q, the one in your review.
Everything was his idea and done and welded by him.

All others after that one, should never have been made, because it was never designed to be made. They were not designed to be real bikes.
But
100 of them got welded up* by the factory and shipped off, most to Korea.
This was done sometime after the show above with that bike (so go there if you're on the hunt). I assume the name came from the music Suzi Q, since he says they played that at the event.

This came form some bloke called Larry Ruble :) He gave it to Derek as a project. Never wanted it to be built to sell as by design it was never going to work but was overruled, despite Larry saying no.

And remember it was never intended to be an actual bike for proper use (Larry said so!) , treat it like that.

Hope that helps.
(If you are on the FB group where the Canadian bike talk is, you can read it yoirself)

Not to be confused with the new fat bike Suzi Q by RM, I wonder if they know the history of the bike/name.

Thanks for finding that info and sharing … such an odd bike to take to production. Things started to get so vanilla in the mid 90s from the bigger companies like RM … one last crazy design I guess.

Last edited:
A bike named after my daughter, so cool! Well done on the find and I’m sure you’ll do it justice having seen your previous builds!

Latest posts

Back