1995 Muddy Fox Monarch Team

spatuluk

Saracen Fan
Feedback
View
I've been pretty lucky with ebay so far. As the photos often hide dodgy frame issues, I usually balance it out on components, so if the frame turns out to be scrap, I can at least sell the components and break even.

This time, I didn't follow my own rules. I blame it on being stuck in hospital for 3 weeks, bored out of my mind. :p Enter, a Muddy Fox Monarch Team:

That's the ebay photo, and it doesn't look toooo shabby to me. I can't see any obvious rust or issues. The groupset looks like it's mostly Acera X, and the chainset looks like it's a 1996 model, which is slightly different to the 1995 model (it has exposed bolts). I paid £35 for it, and collected it last night (too late for taking photos, I'm afraid).

I was right about the groupset, although the front mech is Alivio, and something weird is going on with the seatpost - it seems to have a valve or something on it. Could it be another pump combo? :eek:

Unfortunately, the bike appears to have been cleaned using sandpaper, judging by lack of laquer and the massive patch of exposed primer on the LH side. On top of that, there's exposed rust around the dropouts, and bubbling under the paintwork here and there. On the plus side, the rust doesn't look too bad, and there's no dents or holes, so a powder coat will sort it all out.

Due to a lack of shed space, it's now in competition with my Tufftrax for the position of non-exotic commuter bike. The test will be to strip them both down to the frame and BB, and weigh them. If tales are to be believed, the Monarch frames are pretty light, but then again the mid-range mid-90s Saracens are also pretty light.

If they're fairly even in weight, the Monarch will get a powder coat and all the components from the Tufftrax. The Tufftrax will get a thread in the For Sale section as a frame and forks. Sorry unicorn, but I'm fickle! :roll:

oh, special mention goes to letmetalktomark's thread about his Monarch Pro, as that was what made me decide to place a bid. I'll try not to hold him personally responsible should everything go south. :)

edit: Updated year of frame, as the serial number shows it's a 95, not a 96.

Attachments

• MuddyFoxMonarchTeam.jpg
    MuddyFoxMonarchTeam.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 1,457
Re: 1996 Muddy Fox Monarch Team

Yesterday evening was not a good time to be taking photos - it was raining and cloudy and generally right miserable, but I took some anyway!

Here's a traditional side view:

What I thought was primer is actually bare steel!

The brazing on the canti noodle is also exposed due to some OTT cleaning. Not sure what the black stuff is.

The weird capped opening on the seat tube does absolutely nothing!

mmm.. wishbone stay - the main reason I bought it..

Brussel?

After taking the photos, I stripped it down to the BB, mechs, and brakes. Naturally my luggage scales promptly broke, so I had to use bathroom scales. After weighing some stuff that I knew the weight of, it seemed like it was okay, and it reckoned the frame weighed 4.5kg. I seem to recall that BBs weigh about a kilo, so that'd make the frame about 3 - 3.5kg when completely stripped. Not too shabby, and I doubt the Saracen is much different (I haven't stripped that down, yet).

I found the serial numbers, and it looks like the frame was built in 1995.

So, sorry Saracen Tufftrax - it's been a nice year, but I have a need to try out different bikes. All your LX are belong to Monarch! :p

Now.. what colour scheme.... :roll:

spatuluk":2p4a6k8a said:
The weird capped opening on the seat tube does absolutely nothing!
spatuluk,
Nice bike, I do love a pink frame :cool:

I believe the seatpost you have there is a Lockit one. The idea was that you removed the cap and a cable lock slid into the seatpost and the barrel sat in place of the cap. It didn't lock in place but was a convenient place to store the lock when riding so it was to hand when you needed it.
I had a couple myself and still have the locks from them knocking about somewhere (I worked with the guy that developed them on another project of his, the Trailfix range of tool/repair kits/tyre levers).
He worked with Squire for the locks and I believe the seatposts were Kaloy items but I may be wrong.
I thought they were only in the more recent mtb style clamp type but it appears they did do the bmx stlye clamp ones too.

Attachments

• Lockit Seat Post 2.JPG
    Lockit Seat Post 2.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,376
  • Lockit Seat Post.jpg
    Lockit Seat Post.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,374

It's not pink - it's purple! :shock:

Not saying it might not end up being pink, though. Well.. mauve.. :)

Maybe.

Interesting stuff about the seatpost. Never seen that before!

urgh.. today, I stripped the Tufftrax and compared weights.. the Tufftrax was stripped to it's BB (stuck, naturally), and the Monarch was completely bare. I don't quite trust the bathroom scales, so I used my arms (and swapped to be sure).

It seems I was wrong - the weight difference is almost like comparing a high end steel frame to an aluminium frame! The Monarch being the heavier frame, btw. :p

Sooo.. I *could* still get it powder coated and fitted (the weight difference probably means very little in reality), but then I'd be spending money on a mediocre frame.. I *could* put the Tufftrax back together, but I've gotten a bit bored with it..

I think I'll ditch both, and concentrate on getting the Kili Racer put together.

Until the next time I'm bored. :)

Edit: I just weighed them properly, and the difference is only about 500 grammes (altho the Tufftrax does still have its BB in, but they're not as heavy as I remembered). The Monarch weighs 2kg, and the Saracen is 1.6kg (hard to be precise using bathroom scales). oh, and I think the black stuff is dried Kurust. The guy must've coated the bike in the stuff!

I keep looking at letmetalktomark's Monarch and thinking 'phwoar!', so maybe this project isn't quite over yet! :roll:

Edit 2: Properly, my arse! I just used electronic scales; the Monarch weighs 3147 grammes, and the Tufftrax weighs 2605 grammes with the BB in, so should be 2300 grammes bare. That's quite a difference!

Tange Ultimate tubing and a good quality chromoly, Double the price of a entry level courier. But I am 4 years late and 25 years after the event really. The Monarchs to buy are the lugged bikes, or the bikes with ritchey dropouts. They both ride nice. Team, Comp and something else were just spec levels for the same frame.

Latest posts

Back