1994 Univega CB S8.3

Little update,

Finally got the frame and parts all in one place so I could build it up!

Originally I had a set of Judy XCs on till I found a set of AMP F1s but as luck would have it Defiant had a set of "Concept linkage forks" that were originally for this frame.

They are just re-stickered F1s but as I have never seen another set I had to snap them up! :D

Also decided that I will upgrade the groupset a little and will swap out the STX cranks and rear mech for some LX ones (still waiting to find a decent condition M565 mech)

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

I`m on the lookout for a ControlTech Stem and post In black or silver, still undecided as the Hubs crank and mech will be black????

The bars will be swapped too as the 3DV is a different colour to the purple of the frame although it looks a better match in the flesh than the camera shows.

Forks are perfect too, nice and firm which is how I like them! Plans are to strip and recoat them and get some new decals.

Took it for a quick spin tonight and I need a longer stem (130-140mm) and a post with a little bit of layback, I just cant get on with the straight USE one!!!

Tony.... ;)

Tony.... ;)

Forks = :cool: :cool: :cool:
I was so glad when I read that you'd bagged a set!
I'm feeling a little nervous about the USE though - surely an alu lug wrapped around a carbon seat-tube won't like the clamping force required to hold a shimmed 'post? :?
Control Tech will look great though. As for the rest - maybe the old girl deserves XT? ;)

Corduroyboy":28lpipg4 said:
Forks = :cool: :cool: :cool:
I was so glad when I read that you'd bagged a set!
I'm feeling a little nervous about the USE though - surely an alu lug wrapped around a carbon seat-tube won't like the clamping force required to hold a shimmed 'post? :?
Control Tech will look great though. As for the rest - maybe the old girl deserves XT? ;)

My thoughts exactly! The post that was in was 29.8 so I bought a 29.8 shim and the post slipped! I think it may be a 30mm post size??

I really want the ControlTech kit as it keeps with the American origin of the frame and the original kit will be impossible to find!!!

Tony....

tony gti-r":pd0z9ei1 said:
The post that was in was 29.8 so I bought a 29.8 shim and the post slipped! I think it may be a 30mm post size??

Tony....

I'm as sure as I can be that it's 29.8mm - I remember a discussion a while back that confirmed this (same as a Giant Cadex) - I'm not really that suprised that the shimmed 'post slipped - they'll always need greater clamping forces.

Sold the post and bar so put the silver bits I had on it!

Still undecided :?

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

I will be wanting a longer stem with less rise and a seatpost that has the clamp set back.

What would be the smallest I could go with the post without causing too much stress? 27.2???

Tony.... ;)

Really like that, not seen one of those frames before. But I hadn't seen one like mine until it turned up :D
Surprised it was only specked with LX originally, frame looks like it would warrant XT etc?

Thanks!

Bikepedia is way off with the spec as I have found examples of both S8.3 and S6.3 on the net all with full LX M560, so the NOS STX kit i`ve bought is wrong!!! :x

Think I`ll keep it LX M565 spec and see what its like for a while then maybe upgrade to XT M737

Tony.... ;)

Back