1994 Kona Lava Dome

7plusoneisideal

Devout Dirtbag
Evening everyone, another 90’s Kona thread, bought this on a whim on eBay Sunday night, price was okay ish and it was local - so I thought what the hell.

I’m building it for my student son, who’s heading back to his 3rd year at uni and needs something to get around the city on.

Needs to stay looking ratty to help it stop being nicked, but needs to function well.

IMG_0389.jpeg

The spec is all over the place to be honest, previous owner was running 1 x set up with. 2009 xtr crank.

On the plus side the original bottom bracket, chainset and front mech were included in a box, which I plan to refit, with the added benefit of some rapid fire shifters from a similar era

The v brakes are going to go as well and swap out for some period canti’s

The Marzocchi are going to be coming off and I’m not a fan of early suspension forks or full sussers for that matter, the seller included a set of project 2 forks in bronze, which could be original - but who knows ?

Might be a challenge with the headset as the steerer on the project 2’s is too short for the top nut to thread on to. Looking for a lower stack which will hopefully work ?

Last edited:
The wheels run true, rims do match, but hubs are different, tyres are past there best but I have some old Michelins somewhere that will work well for tarmac and the city.

While researching 94 lava domes I found the same bike for sale back in 2013, it’s had some changes since then, buts it’s 100% the same bike, the red middleburn middle chainring is still in place.

Strip down has started - gutted to find out I need a specific tool to remove the xtr crank - but found one on Amazon for 30 quid and will list it with the crank when I sell the crank on, hope it arrives tomorrow, plan to strip down to the frame, a clean up and then rebuild

Back