1994 Kona Hot - updated progress pic 25th May

cant believe that it took another two months to get this finished, but finally got everything tightened up and ride ready. Went out for a gentle ride over to Liberty State Park on saturday on they new Hot and was very pleased with it. I'm relieved that it fits very well as I'm only 5'9" and was worried that a 19" frame would be too big, but with a 100mm stem it feels just right.

DSC01094.jpg

DSC01093.jpg

DSC01101.jpg

I'll be taking her off road in a week or so for the first time and fully expect an amazing ride!

Overall I'm very happy with how the build came out and the only thing I'll possibly change is the height of the front forks, but it doesnt seem to affect the feel of the bike too much as is...

Nice. Perhaps an older SID would be more appropriate travel wise. But nice all the same. You may find it a tad big on the trails though at 5'9. An 18" would be easier to throw around the twistys. But it's a freakin` Hot, so ride on amigo!

That's looking pretty classy Rich, the SIDs look absolutely right on it. If it was mine, I think I would be tempted to have the shop insert the spacer to take the travel and ride height down by 15mm, but as you say if you like the ride and the bar height the way they are then it's fine as it is.

As to size, you're within the height range for a size 19, but at the lower end of it. The only important differences between a 19 and an 18 are that the top tube is half an inch longer and the head tube is 2cm longer. So the cockpit length you've made with the 100mm stem is the same as a size 18 with a 115mm stem, no problem there. And the longer head tube could be another reason why the bar height might feel on the high side for you. But if it suits you, end of story. If not, the SID spacer could be the solution.

All in all, the higher bar, the slightly slacker head angle with more travel and the long top tube/short stem cockpit are all features of more moden design, so you can't be going far wrong.

kerryn":3cppms5m said:
I like that saddle. What is it, a flite?
charge spoon by the looks..

Aside from that, i think it looks totally amazing rich! loving the new bits on the old frame!
Just out of interest, would you please be able to let me know what the axle-to-crown length is on those sids? my lava dome is 19" and i'm thinking of putting some suspension on it to save my wrists at some point but don't wnat to make it too slack

Again, i like :D

Hi,

Again, thanks for the nice comments. The saddle is indeed a Charge Spoon. I may opt for a Black one but am liking the contrasting brown at the moment.

I'm away on business at the moment, but will try to get some measurements on the fork for you and either post it up here or send you a pm.

I've only managed to get out on the bike a couple of times, but am really happy with the way it rides and it feels very agile. Weight wise it is coming in around 22.5lbs which I am very happy with as I wasnt particularly aiming at a weight weenie build.

Looks really nice, interesting with SIDs too! Keep the brown spoon, makes it look different. Nice pics too.

(Search not working where I am (honest), but what is the difference between a Hot and an Explosif? Don't want to start a discussion again as I am sure there is a thread somewhere, just can't find it!)

As far as I can remember, the Hots were all hand made and for mine, by Tom Teesdale. They were also made of Tange Ultimate Ultrastrong tubing with the fluted down-tube. I think that the later hots were hand made out of Reynolds 853 tubing.

Back