1994 Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Sapphire Fade, Campa Record OR

hugovelthuis

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So, there we go!

Exactly 3 years ago I bought a beautiful Yo Eddy. A bike that I like a lot, maybe the best steel MTB frame ever produced. Up till yesterday it had a great spot on the wall :cool: , a place that had to change sometime if I decided how the bike should be build.

I was thinking of several options to build it. A full M910 group would be cool, complete build of US parts is nice as well. But the best would be a Campa Record OR group, unfortunately a lot of people want this groupset so the prices were out of my range.

The color of the Yo is Sapphire Fade bottom up, a very elegant color. The frameset is in pristine condition, so the groupset should be the same as well.

I was thinking of the following parts:
- Red/black anodized US parts, like Red/Black Paul derailleurs and shifters. This could be an overkill, so I had to be subtle if I would choose this group.
- Full M910 group, a group that you don't see that often because it has ben offered only one year.
- Full Campa Record group, very elegant groupset. I think this would be my preferred group, but hey... This is a needle in a haystack.

In the last 3 years I found several parts, like the M910 shifters and a very nice Paul red/black derailleur set. I found a Syncros 29,4 2nd gen seatpost in excellent condition as well. It wasn't going fast and I still wasn't sure what the final build would be. The Record group was not an option up till that point, to expensive and and to rare.

And than suddenly a couple of months ago a fantastic group was offered here on Retrobike, not all components fitted the Yo (like the FD and headset) but it looked excellent and the price was fair (to my opinion). It was a nice start to get a full group of Record OR. It felt like an option for the final choice of spec's!

Wow would this become reality!!

And yes, it did. I found the right FD, and I even found a NOS 29,4 Record seatpost.

So I started building yesterday and the bike looks absolutely amazing, is a Bike of the Month winner??

This is the current spec:

Frame+Fork: 1994 Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Sapphire Fade M/L with rigid fork (Pristine condition)
Headset: Chris King No-logo (Pristine condition)
Stem: Painted to match frame/fork roller stem (Pristine condition)
Crankset: Record OR (Pristine condition)
Bottom Bracket: Record OR
Front Derailleur: Record OR (NOS)
Rear Derailleur: Record OR (Pristine condition)
Shifters: Record OR (Pristine condition)
Brakes: Record OR (Pristine condition)
Hubs: Record OR (NOS, I think)
Rims: Record OR (NOS, I think)
Seatpost: Record OR (NOS)
Handlebar: Fat City Cycles steel

More pictures will follow soon!

Thanks for reading!
Hugo

Attachments

• 12405132_10153868935372962_180187032_o.jpg
    12405132_10153868935372962_180187032_o.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,601
So, I have the first question as well. How do I mount the Bullet shifters :)?! I put them on the handlebar, but there is not spring inside to keep it from turning back to the small chainrings.

Thanks!

Re:

Looking great! Will you bring it tomorrow?

I would look out for a Campy headset, but the CK nologo is not bad either.

:xmas-cool: very nice
I like the paint and admire your patience in getting the spec you wanted.

Some other pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,487
  • IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,487
  • IMG_0861.JPG
    IMG_0861.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 1,486
  • IMG_0859.JPG
    IMG_0859.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,486
Re:

Hugo

Bullet shifters are mounted like the old bar ends wich you slide into the bars. There is a allen key bolt inside the shifter. When mounted properly it will function. Have had the same struggle a few years ago. When you get it you think: aaaaaaah, is it that easy.

Hope it helps, otherwise good luck.

Cheers
Martin

Thanks Martin! This was the inside information that I am looking for. Unfortunately the shifters do not work properly so I need to fix these first.

At least I have something fun to do with Christmas :xmas-big-grin: :xmas-wink: :xmas-cool: !

Keep you updated.

Back