1993 Rocky Mountain Hammer (Final Pics added, pg 4)

Update time again! :)

More polishing done today, the group set is nearly complete. nice and shiny! ;-)

I've had a go at restoring the paint on the frame today, unfortunatly I was mistaken in one of my other posts, the paint in some locations has turned black, mainly on the top tube, but in places everywhere. I Tried some rubbing compound to bring it back to life, but no go, powdercoat doesn't seem to react the same to polish. So I am very much leaning towards a repaint now.

I'm going to have a look at the wheels tomorrow, the original ones DX hubs laced to wolber rims.

Cheers

Simon.

Attachments

• 2012-04-07 17.28.05.jpg
    2012-04-07 17.28.05.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 2,149
Do you have the original forks still ?
The MAGs are an upgrade I assume a year later (they're 1994). that is if you bought the frame in the '93 model year.

Unfortunately I don't have the original forks anymore, they had the threads stripped before I put the Mags on. :-( I got the Mag 21's later as an upgrade.

I had a look at The wheels today, not too bad just need a clean. I would really like some Ritichy Zmax tires to go on, but I don't know what the likelihood of finding any are.

I also decided to try to restore my rather battered Onza Bar ends, not going to bad so far, pic below, Managed to polish up the mounts, going to paint the bar section black, some fine filler is drying at the mo.

Cheers

Simon.

Attachments

• 2012-04-08 16.35.38.jpg
    2012-04-08 16.35.38.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 2,097
  • 2012-04-08 12.08.20.jpg
    2012-04-08 12.08.20.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 2,097
wow, so many RMs now! :shock: yet another thread to subscribe to! :roll: :D

got a couple of spare RM steel rigid forks if they are any interest to you. ;)

The mag 21 fors can be a 93 model too. if they have a 19 mm top cap i think they are . 94 and up had bigger (22?) mm top caps.
but a rigid fork may be better anyway !

Rio":1q9oaz49 said:
The mag 21 fors can be a 93 model too. if they have a 19 mm top cap i think they are . 94 and up had bigger (22?) mm top caps.
but a rigid fork may be better anyway !

1994, only year to use Alu stanchions. Which is good as it's the first year the internal porting/spring/oil setup matured.

Thanks for the offer of the forks, but I'm going to stick with the Mags, I ran those for the vast majority of the time I had back then anyway.

The Mags are '94 models still fully functional, they have the "long" travel kit installed, well my home made version anyway. The air seals leak unfortunately, so I could do with finding some replacements.

I found you can get new Ritchey Z max tires, so I have ordered a pair of those and a few other bits and pieces, cables and bolts that sort of thing.

Spent the day getting a top coat on my bar-ends, and cleaning up the wheels.
I not too happy with the finish on the bar-end, so I'm going to do a wet flat before the lacquer.
The wheels came up ok, some of the spokes are a bit bent or pitted, and the rims are a bit battered too, but they look good considering they are the originals.

Well I'm nearly done with the components now, just got the bar-ends to finish off. I just have the big job of the frame to do now, hope I can get some paint reasonably close.

Cheers

Simon.

Attachments

• 2012-04-09 15.36.31.jpg
    2012-04-09 15.36.31.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,017
  • 2012-04-09 15.40.13.jpg
    2012-04-09 15.40.13.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,017
The wheels look lovely and you are doing a great job ;)

Made me go out and clean my girls up :D

Attachments

• Rocky brace.jpg
    Rocky brace.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,008
Thanks, quite a bit of elbow grease has gone in to this so far, hope it looks as good in reality when its finished as it does in my head! ;-)

Love your two Rocky's, especially the Blizzard its lovely. :)

Simon.

Back