1993 Marin Team Titanium

So, pretty eager to get it together, I literally whizzed through it, putting as much on the fuselage as I could.

Action Tec Titanium BB...

2j3ljsy.jpg

24lkdit.jpg

M900 cranks hand polished, Pace Grey rings with SRP Black bolts...

2dqr30y.jpg

Gearing is M900, with steel bolts swapped out for Titanium or alloy...

fwn43b.jpg

14b5lxt.jpg

M900 cantis, and again, they'll get some Titanium and alloy bolts too...

2le2nih.jpg

Ive asked Chris (Rampage) to make me some canti bolt washers in alloy. I know that most people like and use X-Lite ones, but I like the lighter Odyssey Svelte ones. They're pretty rare now, which is why I've asked for some to be made up, but I took my inspiration from the NOS seat pin bolt I have...

30ndbh4.jpg

The seat post is a Control Tech one in 26.8mm, which did fit perfectly before yours truly went to town with the caustic soda. The alloy shim bonded inside the frame has been eroded slightly by the caustic soda, and it's more like a 27.4mm now. Anyway, I'll get some vernier calipers on it, and then order up a little shim. I've cleaned all the grubby finger marks off the frame for these pictures. I still need some Grey cables, a couple of custom bolts, brake pads, and a really good clean. The tyres look dirty, but they're actually NOS.

28klc1i.jpg

200a7i9.jpg

Thanks for the appreciation guys.

Well, today is decal day. I'm still waiting for the final bits in the post, but this is as far as I can take it really except for pedals, which I'll rebuild a set of Onza ones especially for it.

Before the decals go on, I had to address those seat clamp bolts. Which would you choose?

1zdocuc.jpg

I chose a genuine 1993 stamped Flite Transalp saddle as they're my all time favourite.

Anyway, a few more photos I took...

10xvdpu.jpg

2dr6mhx.jpg

ozgub.jpg

xres.jpg

rubtzb.jpg

25iaf5k.jpg

Big thanks to Gil for the decals once again. Some of you may notice that there's no top tube decal, and that's for good reason, as I can find no evidence to suggest that the '93 Team Titanium ever had one there. Any images I've ever seen, it just isn't there, and when one is there, it's because the owner has put their own decals on.

I've given the front tyre a little clean to show that they are actually NOS...

r0t9nk.jpg

Looking great!

I need decals for my 1994 Marirn Bear Valley SE. I was going to try and get the top top logo made up locally, but if you have someone that can make the head tube badge (silver preferred but will take white), flag and saddle tube decal I would be interested.

You have my number 1 choice for swapping my front end, but I'm pretty sure I won't come across one for a price I'm willing to pay so I will stay where I'm at.

Re:

Stunning build. Love the two tone frame and bar/stem combo. If it were mine if have to put a Ti post on it though

Re:

This is without any doubt one of the best build threads I have seen!

It's great that you find the time and motivation to make a thread with such attention to detail. It certainly makes me feel bad for my own build thread.... :-D

Anyway, the bike looks fantastic as well. I love these old Marin's!

Re:

I had a '93 Marin Ti - it remains one of the nicest riding bikes I've owned - I had early RC30 531 blade rigids on mine and an XTR M950 group - it was great. I traded it at 'Recycle' in London for a tatty Kona Hot (that I had to refurb as the stars and stripes paint was tatty) although the 853 Kona was also a lovely ride, the Marin was great and I wish I'd kept it. Enjoy yours, that's been a great project.

Back