1993 Kona Hot - Red fade.

Re: Kona Hot 93 Red Fade

I think our bikes were buddies not that long ago ;)

zRlLVs.jpg

Re:

That's very cool!

And both now in the UK and are /shall be very well used.

If only more finds like that came up more often. Still vividly remember the morning mine came up for sale - although I'd probably bankrupt myself in the process! :facepalm:

Re:

Beautiful build but sadly one I can only dream of.
Would like to see against a plain backdrop so we can revel in the awesomeness of the Kona sloping top tube :cool:

Re: Kona Hot 93 Red Fade

al-onestare":2etcsevy said:
I think our bikes were buddies not that long ago ;)

zRlLVs.jpg

Great photo, are they really both the bikes?

Re:

Yes, unbelievably both frames were originally owned by H1v9a8c8 (Brian) in the States before being sold and parting ways. Both 19”.

Re:

So today was a bit of a shoot out. I thought that the Explosif and the Hot would have similar character, and that there wouldn't be too much difference, other than in stiffness (Ultrastrong tubing) but out I was wrong.

Despite the Hot having the all steel Horse Shoe brake-booster, it is still considerably lighter and feels a different animal. Acceleration is faster, more zippier, and racier in a straight-line but the Explosif is a more comfortable ride. The Hot is like on 'roids! The RM-400 Pro rims are nice. Geometrywise, the Hot seems also to have a long top tube (I will have to measure to compare)

I'm not a fan of the XC Pro shifters, I prefer the robustness of XTs, so will be swapping them out at the next opportunity. The classic combination of Kool stop brake pads (fitted today) with Dia Compe 987, and Ritchey Levers is definitely more effective than the XT brakeset and has more modulation.

I will have to get the purple old faithful Explosif a bit lighter, starting with the Bottom Bracket, fresh rims, and a new set of cranks.

Attachments

• IMG_0736_S.jpg
    IMG_0736_S.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_0758.JPG
    IMG_0758.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_0760_R.jpg
    IMG_0760_R.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 649
Reactions: JCS
Re: 1993 Kona Hot - Red fade