1993 GT timberline retro mod.

Nice one.

9.75kg is quite svelte for a mid range GT. Mine is quite porky mostly due to the Alfine hub and much of the original GT parts. Still goes well though and don't notice the weight so much when riding it and nothing creaks. The original seatpost's clamp that came with my Timberline was well shagged. I replaced it with a generic Nitto and haven't thought about it since :cool:

Upgraded the derailleur a bit with some leftover parts I had lying around.
Pictured here it weighs in at 205 grams.
I may eventually get some nicer pulley wheels for it because I hate these little generic plastic pulleys.
This is an under-rated derailleur in my opinion.

In other news, these little plastic Chinese-made BB bearing covers arrived this week.
I fit the zee crank spindle in the the XT bottom bracket, but now there is definite drag in the system.
Too much for my liking.
What could be causing that?😕

Attachments

• IMG_20230902_200657_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230902_200657_HDR.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 4
Here's the saddle that I've gone with. Selle san marco magma.

I wasn't happy with the box two post: I wanted a true zero setback post.
So got this thomson seatpost, not had a great experience with them so far, so we'll see how long this lasts...

Also, I have decided to sell the cranks, which are as new. I'm going to put some used deore ones from another bike instead.

Attachments

• IMG_20230918_164653.jpg
    IMG_20230918_164653.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 5
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Regarding the drag in the cranks, I've found that it could be from thick grease in new BB's or from excessive preload on the bearings from spacers and seals. Perhaps the Deore set will alleviate the problem.

I'm surprised to see that any Thompson parts failed. They have a good rep for light yet robust parts. It is commendable that they were willing to cover your stem as they only offer a 3 year warranty, but yes, shipping costs are becoming unreasonable. I have every intent of checking my stem and seatpost tonight.

Nonetheless, Synchronicity, let's get that girl on the road! It looks like it's going to be a super light efficient bike and an absolute joy to ride. I'm interested in your take on the old GT steel vs newer road bikes.

Unfortunately this project got stalled. As sometimes happens. Life.

Because for one thing I had a 10 speed shifter lying around, and a 10 speed cassette and thought "yeah! let's put that on😃". With all the enthusiasm of a 16 year old teenager.

Then eventually figured out that it won't/wouldn't work with my 9 speed derailleur. And I'm not prepared to swap to a 10 speed derailleur. Because they all look too modern for my liking. In the mean time, I've sold my 9 speed shifter.🤕

That was a mistake! But it was Deore so pretty lowly on the food chain.
Would prefer to get a nice SLX shifter as they are a bit nicer and crisper to shift.

Other than that I think I'm just waiting on the v-brakes. I can't remember what the issue was there. The noodle I think.

Also, the silly top hat bearing covers failed AGAIN. So I've had to order those all the way from China and that usually takes at least 3 weeks. Sometimes more like a month.😟

Small update.
I just manufactured some custom made titanium v-brake noodles.😃😎🤠

IMG_20240331_164300.jpg

I'd prefer proper metal ferrules instead of the plastic ones as shown here, but for now this will have to do.
The avid ones are brass and I'd prefer aluminium. But the alloy ones I've seen online can be really shoddy.
I've learned with age to try not to be such a perfectionist, otherwise nothing gets done.

Also got a few other bits.
Mavic Ti skewers.
IMG_20240331_182024.jpg

IMG_20240331_182147.jpg

Risk Ti bolts for thomson elite seatpost.

IMG_20240331_182420.jpg

The original v-brake bosses that came with the fork were horrible and they'd been painted over.
Decided to get new ones. I had to put anti-seize on the threads. So they are now installed.😊

IMG_20240331_182442.jpg

Back