1993 Giant Cadex CFM-2

Quick post just to say how much I’m loving this bike. Have had quite a few decent rides on it and it’s fast becoming my favourite bike. It’s almost as fast as my tourer on the road but also seems surprisingly capable off road. Handles superbly, really precise and nimble.

Also fits me way better than I’d expected...like a glove! It’s the only bike I want to ride at the moment.

Would recommend the Michelin country rock tyres, they might not have much retro cred or visual appeal but they work really well for a proper all terrain machine - light weight, fast (and quiet) on the road with loads of grip and decent on the rough stuff too...also very comfortable and light. I can’t see them being brilliant in mud but for the riding I want to do right now they are perfect.

Also glad I stuck with the v-brakes it came with. No fuss, they just work...

Well, I wasn't crazy about it on the trails with the smokes - too fast for me, and perhaps a little unforgiving :D so I went back to plan A. I know the rack spoils the looks, but I'm well pleased with how I fitted it (DIY bracket works a treat). For what I use this bike for it'll beat carrying a rucksack. Don't intend to load it up too much...

Rode it again this evening, love it.

FD4489CD-6B4F-4873-B8D8-5BA05942F1B8.jpeg 0215A32C-0D49-451F-9E2D-D1BC545C3CBE.jpeg

Spoiled the looks of it further with the addition of some cheap mudguards. But the keen eyed will notice another tweak that shifts it towards original spec... it's also solved (I hope) the chain suck problem I was having with the short cage XT mech. Hopefully both changes that'll see it ridden more, which is, I think, what it's about.

03DBCDC7-0D40-4845-8C2D-110D4AFBEFB1.jpeg

At some point I'm probably going to think about selling this, my current (ongoing) build fills a similar niche. Any interested parties please get in touch...

I just wanted to say I love the way this bike looks especially with fenders and rack. I had a very similar aesthetic on a 1990 Trek 8000. Great bike that was. I love the way the fork randomly fades to white but actually still looks cool.

At some point I'm probably going to think about selling this, my current (ongoing) build fills a similar niche. Any interested parties please get in touch...
The replacement for this is ready now so it's time for the lovely Cadex to find a new home.

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/1993-giant-cadex-cfm-2-19-£175-inc-uk-postage.444390/

Back