1992 Rocky Mountain Altitude

After a grim day at work it was time to break out the hammer and set to with the build.

Popped the headset in with the help of an old fence post and then the first blow - the earmarked black Syncros stem was inch rather than the 1 1/8th I'd thought it was. Idiot. Luckily the gunmetal one I had was 1 1/8th though and seems to work well with the ti bars.

I've attached a trademark poor quality photo of where I got to in an hour or so - thinking perhaps some scruffy silver Cooks next and then just left with wheels (I have some I can press into use temporarily) and brake levers to get, at this rate it could be a MM rider.

Attachments

• RM Altitude part build.JPG
    RM Altitude part build.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 750
Coming along well, I like the way it looks well used already :D
and the way the frame makes the fork look tiny:LOL:

You're making me want to de-modernise my bike and bung on the old stuff that has so much play, hardly works and is close to cracking.
and to paint my forks black and not red.

ededwards":749zzg7x said:
Picked up the Powerlites yesterday with a fresh 1 1/8th threadless steerer (260mm :shock: ), the shop did a great job.

did you have the shop press out the old steerer and press in a new one??? :shock:

RockiMtn":3jv6heay said:
ededwards":3jv6heay said:
Picked up the Powerlites yesterday with a fresh 1 1/8th threadless steerer (260mm :shock: ), the shop did a great job.

did you have the shop press out the old steerer and press in a new one??? :shock:

No, what they did was fit an internal sleeve (effectively an old inch steerer tube) then weld on the extension and then drill some holes and weld both the original steerer and the extension to the sleeve. The job is obviously not particularly light but it is very tidy indeed and although I dare say it wouldn't survive big drop offs (not exactly my style anyway, and wouldn't want to on a 20 year old light steel frame) should certainly be strong enough for what I'll use it for.

Back