1992 Merlin Project

Merlin Ti

I'd love a Ti frame bike but I guess I'll never be able to afford one. That's a lovely bike mate and I'm really jealous!!

K

Re: Merlin Ti

ket01":3ewv9phs said:
I'd love a Ti frame bike but I guess I'll never be able to afford one. That's a lovely bike mate and I'm really jealous!!

K

never say never. :)

save a few pounds a month and keep an eye out for a good deal and you can get your foot in the door.

Ti Merlin

That's what I like about Americans, your optimists!! :D

You are American I assume and not just living there...?

K

Canadian... living in America.:?

Maybe that American can-do eternal optimist attitude is wearing off on me?

Anyways, I don't mean to sidetrack the thread so I'll just throw in my .02 about the Merlin. I love the polished Cook Bros RSRs and the polished XT pedals. It is a nice combo. Did you polish those RSRs yourself? Are those new dust caps or from BITD?

Cheers

Re: Merlin Ti

Cheers for all the comments guys :D

The headset spacers and crank caps are titanium items from Toronto Cycles.
The cranks are as I bought them, I'm not sure if they've been polished or just well used. I'm half way through refurbishing a set of M900 cranks that I might fit for added shinyness....
The pedals were my first choice for the build but I then decided I wanted to go for as much bare metal as possible and that meant finding suitable silver flat pedals :? . I almost went with new but retro looking MKS as I wasn't sure if the XT pedals had steel or alu cages and could be polished without fear of rust..... I decided to gamble on some scruffy XT's and I'm very happy with how they turned out. It was quite easy to do but I wouldn't recommend attempting it without a dremmel.
Unfortunately the bike is currently a non-rider as the 130mm stem is far too long. The last time I was out I was getting pins and needles in my hands and the slow steering after 15+ years using 100mm and shorter stems was really catching me out. I have a 100mm Salsa quill to go on once cambriabike.com get their finger out and post my 2nut headset conversion kit out.... then I'll be able to use it as it was intended :D .

ket01":1u0kpaxt said:

K

I originally thought that too but I've seen these go stupidly cheap on ebay and on here. Like a fraction of the price a s/h Moots or IF ti fetches, or about the same as an Explosif plus new paint and stickers.... The expensive bit is building it with the parts that it deserves....

Back