1992 Kona Hei Hei

Re:

What an absolute beauty, nicely done! I remember seeing one of these at a demo day in Weardale way back, guessing 1991, and falling in love.

M-Power":1zfrkgae said:
Absolutely stunning looking bike that should ride as good as it looks. Maybe try to find a Ti P2 fork from Ashok

Cheers Angelo! Yes, will need to sound him out and report back! Love the McClaren Automative Story.

al-onestare":1zfrkgae said:
She's a beauty.

I do think she'd look better with a Flite but I know the period correct police won't approve ;) Are the SLs elastomer or refitted with springs?

Thanks dude. Funnily enough, I'm actually using an original Flite as a daily mount to keep the Avocet for when I feel like breaking it out ;) The Avocet II is very nicely made but definitely a weight addition as are the retro tires.

The SLs are actually spring values in an oil bath, so thankfully not an elastomer in sight. They're actually pretty stiff which was a nice surprise. Small hard bumps do get noticed, but coming from a rigid ride background, it all helps to smooth things out particularly when assisted by a Ti bar.

Neilios":1zfrkgae said:
What an absolute beauty, nicely done! I remember seeing one of these at a demo day in Weardale way back, guessing 1991, and falling in love.

Thank you Neilios. Can just about keep up with the modern rides!

Attachments

• R1063211_'War Horse'.jpg
    R1063211_'War Horse'.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 663
Re:

Well done Romanrinos; once again you have done a first class job with this build.

Some more pictures please with your newly acquired Ti O-Beam Seat Post fitted – I know how much effort you went to in trying to find one!

I think this beauty needs to join your 1993 Hot on Konaworld. It is a worthy entry for Ti Tuesday. The last Retro addition on there was back in August last year, so I think it’s about time we saw another.

Pip.

Re: Re:

Neilios":3rsllwr0 said:
Was this the bike you wanted the NOS M231s for?
pipmeister":3rsllwr0 said:
Well done Romanrinos; once again you have done a first class job with this build.

Some more pictures please with your newly acquired Ti O-Beam Seat Post fitted – I know how much effort you went to in trying to find one!

I think this beauty needs to join your 1993 Hot on Konaworld. It is a worthy entry for Ti Tuesday. The last Retro addition on there was back in August last year, so I think it’s about time we saw another.

Pip.

Thanks Pip! Words are much appreciated. The pics were taken a few days before the O-Beam came into being but is now slotted in and makes a big difference to having what is now bonafide build given Mag21s were a catalog option at the time. Ti Syncros post now for sale! :D

Neilios":3rsllwr0 said:
Was this the bike you wanted the NOS M231s for?
Yes, it is. The Araya Rm14s suit well but still keeping my eye out for a silver 32h pair.

That turned out super nice, congrats. You've inspired me with my Rocky Titanium project, which will be full XTR and assorted goodies.

Thank you chaps. Having owned a 91 Explosif with XT workhorse groupset, which I still love for it's reliability and robustness, the finesse and precision of XTR is evident inline with the original high-end price point.

Inspiration came from this early Hei Hei, featuring snowflake spoke pattern being raced hard, but also wanted to follow through on achieving the correct items such as right link wires, Ti-noodle etc. as would have been.

Attachments

• IMG_3069_M.jpg
    IMG_3069_M.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 397
  • Early Hei Hei raced.jpg
    Early Hei Hei raced.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 397
Back