1992 km ridgerunner alloy

vincenth

Retro Guru
Another member spotted my koga miyata ridgerunner in the background of a picture from a another bike I posted on here and asked if I would do a build topic. I believe it's been a few months so here it is, just in time before 2020!
Weeks before I started this build I bought a 1992 trailrunner, mostly for the syncros bar/stem and a few xt parts. Next thing a 1992 riderunner alloy frame + fork popped up on marktplaats.nl . According to the seller the fork was the original one, which I doubt because the 92 version had an aluminium fork. I do have the allumiunium one from the trailrunner but like steel better so I kept the two together.
Frame and fork were both mostly sanded. At first I was thinking to restore it to it's original colour but then found stock decals on ebay for the 1990 version. These decals are mostly black so I decided to paint it with some 90's flavour. Blue for the frame, pink for the fork seemed like a nice combo but when shopping for paint I changed my mind and decided yellow for the fork (shortly after realizing the colourscheme was going to look a lot like a yeti).
For the build I used the donor bike and parts from my garage, found nos bontrager tires from around 1996 and got new odi attack's and cables.

I added a lot of pictures to show all the details of the frame. It really looks like km did a great effort to make these bikes bombproof, there are extra gussets welded on the bottom bracket and at the junction of the seattube and chainstay, the rearend is reinforced with extra tubes and the welding is done really nice.

I know there's a few more things to be done (shorten the chain, finish all cables, brake pads) but apart from that I might only get a new saddle.
And last but not least: it makes for a good ride, this one will get dirty.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=343496&start=10 (scroll down for a few more pics if these aren't enough already)

Attachments

• km1.jpg
    km1.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 405
  • km2.jpg
    km2.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 405
  • km3.jpg
    km3.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 404
  • km5.jpg
    km5.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 404
  • km6.jpg
    km6.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 404
  • km7.jpg
    km7.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 404
  • km8.jpg
    km8.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 404
  • km9.jpg
    km9.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 405
WimVDD":9ig01elr said:
Nice Koga!

Do you happen to be the Vincent I recently bought a Stumpjumper from? ;)

Wim

It's a small (retrobike) world isn't it.
I will have to change my thumbnail very soon ;)

vincenth":2tftriou said:
WimVDD":2tftriou said:
Nice Koga!

Do you happen to be the Vincent I recently bought a Stumpjumper from? ;)

Wim

It's a small (retrobike) world isn't it.
I will have to change my thumbnail very soon ;)

Haha, yes, it is. This is the heart of retrobike world. :)

Neat ! I like what you did with the color and the combination of the fork. It looks like a Rocky Mountain Cirrus in a way.

Got one of my own that I have been riding and I like. It’s a size 48 like yours, a size smaller for me... but still manage.

Back