1992 Arthur Caygill - Under new ownership

Art in the woods, again!

After the last ride there were a few matters requiring attention, so, a different bottom bracket, new 22 tooth steel granny ring and a chain re-clean and re-lube later, we set off again.

I'm glad to say that this time things were a lot less eventful. I was able to tackle the sharp left, right and left switchbacks. I am still rubbish at tight left handers, but Art looked after me in fine style. The long rocky climb is never going to be as smooth a ride on a rigid as it is on a bike with a bit of travel on the front, never the less the climb was pretty straightforward. After a rerun of the gravel path and rocky fast bit I was into the bridleway and then the sharp rooty climb, which I bailed on last time, due to a fear of chainsuck. This time, all was peachy... well rooty, but we made the top with no trouble.

After this I changed the route a bit, both to see what Art could do and also to aviod the dog walkers who, bless them, all have to stop and grab their respective canines to prevent them attacking the poor passing cyclist, despite the fact that 99% of the dogs could not show less interest in me if they tried. Anyway, I nipped off down a cheeky trail that is known locally as the Jedi Run... dunno why, as it's a pretty straightforward single track with a handful of off camber rooty / muddy sections and a sharp climb at the end. Anyway, lets just say I am now Master Yoda's instructor. ;)

Coming out of the woods, I decided I was enjoying myself far too much to go home, so I added another loop around Worlebury Golf Club, which is rocky, rooty, muddy and has a few little drops and climbs. After that, as the rain clouds were gathering, I decided it was time to go home.

A testimony to the stability of this bike is that had I peddled and not free wheeled down Worlebury Hill Rd, I could have overtaken a car.... with ease. :mrgreen: He was sticking rigidly to the 30 M.P.H. limit, where as I am aware that cyclists cannot be done for speeding. :twisted:

So, all round, the Caygill is a marvellous bike to ride, the rigid front end can be a little sharp on the rocky stuff, but in every other environment, including climbs, it tracks like it is laser guided.

And I have to reluctantly say, I am starting to 'get' the thumbie and canti thing.... just don't expect me to start modifying any of my other bikes, well, not quite yet.

DSCN0321_zps77ac1047.jpg

DSCN0322_zps1f25844e.jpg

DSCN0325_zps2159282d.jpg

DSCN0329_zpsc5e5ff47.jpg

The History Man":xsh112cc said:
Very nice. What size is it? Did you see what I bumped into today?

Thanks, not sure what the size is, about 17.5", as per most of my bikes.

Off to search for for THM / RTA info.

Back