1991 Rocky Mountain Experience Frameset SOLD

MiniNinjaRob

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Now I've got my Dave Lloyd this has to go. You don't see one of these come up for sale very often, and it's probably because they are so bloomin' good no-one wants to sell them once they've ridden one!

The way this bikes goes uphill has to be experienced to be believed, if you have any trouble climbing then try this bike. Super short chainstays but with a long top tube make it great uphill and downhill too. The Experience had a slightly higher BB than the Cirrus and a longer top tube.

I am including the frame, Tange Superlight forks (branded Tioga but def Tange! - lighter than the OEM Super Big Forks and probably a bit more forgiving - certainly went downhill very nicely), Rocky Mountain stem, anodised Pro-Bolt bolts with black ali washers and seatpost.

The forks were NOS when I had them powder coated at Triple S in Bingley at the same time as the Rocky Mountain stem. The seatpost is a 400mm BBB one in the exact 30.4mm size needed - I resprayed it and added period correct Syncros decals (a tatty and short 30.4 Syncros period one went for £85 recently on eBay, they are very rare). Most people think it's a Syncros one! Spare Syncros decals included.

The headset is a Shimano M736 which was NOS when fitted. I used a new Tioga double headlock instead of the lockring so I have the original box for the headset and a new lock ring/spacer for it.

Full set of ProBolt alloy anodised red bolts with alloy anodised black washers. New decals by GilM plus a spare headbadge and Experience decal.

I'll also include a correct size Deore DX front mech, aren't I generous?

The frame itself has no dents or cracks, and I think is in very nice condition. A lot of people polish these frames up to a high shine and you could do the same if you wanted but I think it looks better like this, a sort of semi brushed finish. There are a few nicks here and there in the alloy but they are only cosmetic and are from normal use.

22" toptube, 17" centre to top seat tube (14" C-C). It's quite long so would suit someone a bit taller than would normally ride a frame this size IMHO. The stem was powdercoated down the quill a little further than normal so it can be set a bit higher, and along with the slightly higher headlock and the steerer left a touch longer means it's better for bad backs and necks but still looks good.. ;-)

This cost me £330 all in, I'm asking for a third less than that at £220 posted within the UK, £200 collected (add 5% for Paypal goods). Happy to post in the EU for the extra cost, and will send to the USA/Canade too but it's very expensive, possibly another £80 for the post.

I'm in no rush to sell this and I think this is a great price - it's a real good looking bike and people loved it on the RB National rides - you gotta have a Canadian E-stay at least once, haven't you? ;-)

I am looking for some really nice Middleburns cranks (RS7's in 110bcd) which I could take as part payment, not really needing much else though.

Thanks!

0ab582d4.jpg

907f919d.jpg

cd3c2ec8.jpg

8c2dceb2.jpg

cf0bcef4.jpg

36b5b641.jpg

a7c8948d.jpg

7ee4d0d5.jpg

b57aa872.jpg

a9ece046.jpg

More Photos at http://s410.photobucket.com/albums/pp18 ... xperience/[/b]

"22" toptube, 17" centre to top seat tube (14" C-C). It's quite long so would suit someone a bit taller than would normally ride a frame this size IMHO. The stem was powdercoated down the quill a little further than normal so it can be set a bit higher, and along with the slightly higher headlock and the steerer left a touch longer means it's better for bad backs and necks but still looks good."

So what height range would it suit?

azaro":3i0mcwej said:
"22" toptube, 17" centre to top seat tube (14" C-C). It's quite long so would suit someone a bit taller than would normally ride a frame this size IMHO. The stem was powdercoated down the quill a little further than normal so it can be set a bit higher, and along with the slightly higher headlock and the steerer left a touch longer means it's better for bad backs and necks but still looks good."

So what height range would it suit?

I suppose it depends on what size bike you like. I am 5'7" with a 30" inside leg and it was good for me but I had the seat set quite forwards and as low as you see the post in the pictures. Because it has a dropped top tube you could probably get away with being a little bit shorter. Going the other way you might go up to 5'10" or even more depending on how long you like your top tube and how high/low you like having your bars.

Hope that helps.

It does, but unfortunately means it's too small for me!
Bu**er, cos it's gorgeous!

Good luck with your sale. Hope it goes to a good home.

I have just noticed the pictures are RUBBISH! They don't show the bike off very well at all.

Also, forgot to mention that the seatpost fits the frame so perfectly that the post itself is in amazing condition - no scratches - so you can raise it up loads and it still looks fab.

matthew71":31c80y46 said:
off to the shed to measure my blizzard, think it will be to small :cry:

I think this frame has the same top tube length as the 18.5" Cirrus, so you can see its quite long for its quoted frame size. I only have a short stem on it too (think its 130mm?)

Thanks

to small rob, i am 6 ft tall and my blizzard is about as small as i can go,i would also like a lot of post in the 20 year old alu frame :cry:

These frames are known for being very tough. I think the only time they have cracked is when people have changed the 30.4mm post (hard to find in aftermarket upgrades) to a 30.2mm (easier to find a fancy one in this size) - the over tightening of the clamp smaller than it should go made the top of the tube crack. That would happen with any frame with the wrong post though.

I will measure the distance between the BB centre and the saddle rails with the post at the highest height I would be happy with (and I'm paranoid about these things so it will be conservative!!)

Thanks

Back