1991 Orange Aluminium 'O'

Dossa

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Evening chaps, here's a few piccys of my 1991 Alu O (frame number A108 6907 - August 1991, right..?) which I thought I'd show you all..

Picked it up off ebay the tail end of last year (October/November time IIRC) and I think a couple of you on here may remember it as I saw it mentioned in the marketplace thread - it was the one that was based in Hartlepool and stayed at 50.00 quid for days.

The lad I bought it off was sound, met him halfway-ish in Yorkshire which helped me out a lot as I was dreading a schlepp up to Hartlepool! He was the second owner having bought it off a mate who worked in a bike shop but wasn't really that arsed about bikes which is fair enough I suppose.

The condition was pretty good and, to be fair, I didn't have to do a lot to it. Apart from washing off about 20yrs of grime, I ordered some replacement decals from Gil (the bike originally had the BLOCK CAPS logos which don't look as good as the ones fitted to it now IMO), a new chain (SRAM PC-870), new cassette (HG 30), Easton EA 50 handlebar, NOS X-Lite Alto I bar ends, Yeti Speed grips, Aztec control blocks, PD-M520 pedals and a mint pair of Ritchey Alpha and Omega tyres. Topped off with a NOS Avocet 30 and a dinky little 'Stif' decal!

P1040454.jpg

P1040453.jpg

P1040455.jpg

P1040456.jpg

P1040457.jpg

P1040458.jpg

P1040459.jpg

It's mainly STX equipped, with an XT rear mech and Suntour XC Pro front mech. Just 're-wired' it as well with some Clark's Tectra Extreme 2000 gear cables and Clarks Premium brake cables. Been clocking up the miles in it off late and its even seen action at Cannock! I'll put my name down for the NW area and hopefully see some of you soon (lungs permitting!)

I've also got all the matching Orange gear to go with it which I'll post up soon, quite a sight over my beer belly I tell ya!

Cheers,

Matty

EDIT: Just found the original eBay pics -

B65DTgBGkKGrHqVg8EyrlWvsBMIj3vVqw_12.jpg

B65degCGkKGrHqZhoEyrpzTU10BMIkfRk2_12.jpg

B653gCGkKGrHqRjIEyeD-tQzFBMIlHISg_12.jpg

Lovely looking Alu O you bagged yourself there.

I have a frame and bits I need to build into a full bike and if I can get to look half that good, I'll be more than chuffed.. :cool:

Thanks Steve, wish I'd taken a few snaps before I'd got it like it is now :?

I might have some on my phone somewhere, if I have I'll upload them as well.

My "rebuild" is nowhere near the level of most of you lot, so I'm sure you could get a bike looking a lot better than mine!

nice wheels there matt, the black/orange thing suited that frame to a tee and it looks in great nick too........the right fork blade looks like a laced up roman sandal though!.....go wireless and save 3 lbs..... :roll: .....welcome to retrobike!....

That looks great Dossa, wish I'd out bid you now ;) :oops:

Defo a good idea to go back to the classic decals imo and the Stif decal is a proper touch and takes me back to my yoof. I've actually bought a bike in the past from Stif instead of a bike shop just down the road just so I'd get a sticker!!

Lovely bike and a very tidy build :cool:

Cheers ;)

Here's a couple of pics of how it used to look: the first one is a poor photo I took on my iphone (apologies!), all I'd done to it at this point was clean it up a bit, put on some grips (having taken off the rotted old ones and the red X-Lite stubbie bar ends) and some DMR V8's

IMG_0326.jpg

Whilst waiting for Gil to come up trumps with some new decals I put some Prestige stickers I got off ebay to give it a new look -

IMG_0330.jpg

- but was made up to get some 'proper' Alu O decals. Really wanted the Alto I bar ends so had to reluctantly take off the X-Lite Ti bars as it was just narrow a width to have them on. Luckily I sold them for a decent price and put the 23" EA50's on in their place. Also came with a pair of skinwall Maxxis tyres but they were showing their age a bit so had been using a pair of Panaracer Fire XC Pro's until the Ritchey's came on last weekend :)

Here's some of my Orange kit as well -

S6308687.jpg

- enabling me to do my best Kevin Sabiston impression! :oops:

;)

Top draw....love the I beam stem, looks great with the USE post.

Nice as it is to get NOS gear I have to agree that the wiring on the computer looks a little odd.

Looks like you got a good buy there.

Latest posts

Back