1991 Merlin Titanium

Benandemu

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
30 years of yearning this precise build is finally over. Influenced by watching my hero, Greg Lemond using one in the 91 TDF. It was a dream that carried into early 93, and the only changes I made to that dream were the updated rear mech, and the new Ergopower levers.

I did run Time Titan Magnesium pedals and Carnac shoes back in the day, but finding both with the cleats proved too big a challenge, so I settled on Look Carbo Pro.

There’s quite a few small modifications made to the C Record to bring the weight down a touch, and they include Ti or alloy bolts, plus I’ve got a full Titanium 8 speed cassette (very hard to find in Campagnolo fitment).

I built the wheels last week using 28 hole Omega V rims, Sapim Laser spokes and DT alloy nipples, and was really surprised with how light they are at 1660g.

I couldn’t bring myself to use the NOS Rohloff SLT99 chain I’ve had stashed, so I used a KMC X9. They shift so much slicker with 9 speed chains on the 8 speed groups.

For those sceptical about delta brakes, they take an age to set up correctly, but when they’re right, they’re really effective. I have used Kool Stop pads, and they actually lock the wheels quite easy, even when it’s wet! The key is all in the set up, and the use of matched levers. Only a few levers are designed to work with them as their power comes quite late in the lever pull. Set the brake blocks closer than 3mm from the rim and they’ll never achieve optimum leverage.
8D9B356C-1417-45B1-BAFD-AA77016FAC7B.jpeg

AA06196B-1ABD-44AA-89B6-5AC8D2AC709E.jpeg

94FEDBB4-83C8-4ACE-BBF2-F4D2D7B19CAE.jpeg

For me, nothing stands the test of time like titanium. Could be 30 years old, or 20 or 10. Looks great and the groupset is the cherry on top.

Thanks for the appreciation.

The test ride! A few notes made for tweaking back at home; nothing major, just a few adjustments.
Unknowingly, I found myself at the exact same spot I took my very first full C Record build on its first test ride in 1991.
How does it ride?
Smooth, really smooth. Agile, and well balanced. It feels like a bike I’m familiar with, as it immediately builds confidence and a real sense of predictability. It has the ride characteristics of the very best steel frames, but it’s lighter and therefore more responsive.
The Kool Stop pads transform the braking, and they feel really grippy and powerful.
The wheels are ultra smooth, and just want to roll. It’s only my fifth set of wheels that I’ve personally built, so I’ve pretty much impressed myself with how they ride and feel.

329F0ED9-F57A-43FE-BEFD-61E475AD3E71.jpeg

That's fabulous!
Somehow a lot of Titanium builds end up making the bike look heavy ....you've kept the 'lightness'; it's almost as nice as my Lightspeed ;)

That's fabulous!
Somehow a lot of Titanium builds end up making the bike look heavy ....you've kept the 'lightness'; it's almost as nice as my Lightspeed ;)
It’s the owners desire to make them look somehow stealthy. Unknowingly making them quite bland, and ‘heavy’ looking in the process as you say.
I’ve enough Litespeed MTB’s next to it to keep me satisfied.

Back