1991 Kona Lava Dome Purple Frame/Fork/Component Package

NakedGav

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
1991 Kona Lava Dome mountain bike frame, forks & extras.
I have been collecting bits to rebuild my first "proper" mountain bike for many years now, having finally managed to recreate one to factory spec it is time for me to sell of the collection of "spares" I have built up over this period.
If you're looking at this ad then you no doubt already know how iconic these early Joe Murray designed Kona's were in terms of early 90's mountain bikes so I won't try and preach to the converted. I've listed everything below and also tried to point out the good and bad bits of it all. This set is by no means showroom condition but with some love and time could get most of the way towards building up a classic that still looks and rides well today.

Descriptions below and photos can be seen here: https://www.photobox.co.uk/album/4857782422

Frame - 1991 Kona Lava Dome in purple, 16" c/c seat tube, 19"c/t seat tube, 22" c/c top tube. Includes seat QR and dog collar cable guide. The paint work has plenty of "patina" but the frame itself is solid.

Fork - Kona Project 2 forks in black, 145mm steerer with 15mm thread. Overall reasonable condition with some pitting to the paint and slight peeling on the decals. The main downside of these is that someone has fitted an ahead converter tube into them which is now stuck in the steerer. This would need some time and effort to cut out but worth it to rescue a legendary P2 fork.

Wheels - original Aray RX7 rims on 500LX hubs with 7 speed cassette. Reasonable condition but could do with a clean up.

Stem - original Velocity stem in good condition, 135mm reach with a rise.

Bars - original Kona 165 bars, some marks to ends but it good condition.

Bottom Bracket - original Tange bottom bracket, stripped down and cleaned but needs repacking with grease.

Headset - original Impact headset, average condition with some pitting and rusting, missing bearing races.

Saddle - original Kona Avocet saddle, overall good condition but has a couple of rubbed through holes on the corners and needs the sides re-gluing where the material is lifting.

Bottle Cage - original Joe Murray Combo Cage. Good condition but missing the top end plug/tool kit clip, tool kit and bottle. Has the tyre levers.

Front mechs - 2 original 500LX front mechs in decent condition.

Rear mech - original 500LX rear mech in decent condition.

STI Units - original 500LX brake/shifter sti units in good condition but has 2 left hand rubber covers instead of 1 left and one right.

Chainset - original 500LX chainset with 170mm arms in good condition. There is also a complete 500LX chainset with 175mm arms that I'm saying is for spares as I had to remove a stuck pedal from one side. The pedal unscrewed ok but took a lot of force with the pedal axle in a vice so I can't vouch for how good the threads would be to use again. They aren't stripped so may well be fine but I would rather be honest.

Brakes - I also have a pair of cantilever brakes (not pictured) which I don't think are original spec but I believe they are period correct Shimano units. I only found these in a box the other day so figured I may as well throw them in with this lot.

I realise I may have sounded quite negative with some of the above but I just wanted to be honest and not have people expect showroom kit.
Overall I actually think this lot would go a long way towards building a great, solid, usable rider of a classic 90's machine.
I would love to do it myself but I just don't have the spare time now and don't really need 2 of them!

Currently on eBay at £75 delivered.

Happy to have it go on here for £65 posted.
Or come to Derby and take it away for £50 the lot!

Attachments

• Lava Dome.jpg
    Lava Dome.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 612
Back