1991 FUNK Procomp

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Year long project!

All complete after a week of fettling and tuning to get to this state.

Main jobs completed:

Trimmed rear seat tube collar (crack had developed) and replaced with collar.

Restored original Funk fork - inner slider cap had rusted inside one leg and was an absolute PIG to remove. Used coke, liquid release spray, a broken screwdriver, cold chisels and a pair of trusty needle nose mulgrips. I gave up 5 times and in the end perseverance paid off.

Stripped Funk fork paint to bare alloy metal (Funk logos are stenciled from the paint that was left behind which was done nicely)

XT groupset sourced and fitted (polished up a bit)

Points to mention:

The Smokes were a great EBay find and very cheap.
Frame looks so much better built than it did barebones and didn't need a respray after all.
Funk fork is a Manitou 2 design so I used a few parts from an old donor set.
Love XT M735 kit - it never looks tatty and polishes up a treat.
Funk fork has a (stock?) titanium threaded steerer that was a perfect size.
White cabling (cheap Jagwire) is perfect for the old school-ness and contrasts with the candy pink like the decals do)
Popped on the US colour red, white and blue Bullseye wheels as they are definitely better suited to this build.

I'm sure this will go through a few different formats - I may well bling it up if I manage to score suitable US made boutique (silver!)

See - it did get ridden...

Re:

Nice, mine used to be that colour but I repainted it grey :facepalm: when it was looking a bit tired and scratched. After the frame cracked and I decided to restore it I couldn't find any details on the colour Funk used (I'd heard it called "metallic raspberry") plus I couldn't remember the exact shade! What colour did you go for in the end?

Re: Pink FUNK!

That is VERY PINK!

A man comfortable with his sexuality. :)

Seriously though a great save and a tasteful build.

HA Sticklegs :D

This is a respray I think but the metallic is great. Was quite happy to leave it alone and not get it re-re-done.

that is tight! not much needing change really, i don't mind the silver CT post myself.

congrats on a well executed build! superb!

Back