1991 Brodie climbMax Custom ... pretty cherry with Gators!

Re:

very nice score. really like the colour with the gold decals.
could you possibly enlighten us on the `interesting tubing mods' .
descriptions and/or pictures would be nice. :)
roy

Re: Re:

jimi911":2c9fxv7o said:
I missed that Rocky Mtn to and that mint looking 1988 Avalanche for $50! I am batting about .200 on the amazing deals. They come up every so often, but they are tougher to snap up. There was also a $50 Klein Pinnancle last summer and a $50 1991 Explosif I just missed. There are always lower end diamondbacks, konas, etc. floating around, but a lot of those are $50-100 and than another $300-500 to get them on the trail.

This wasn't a giveaway deal, but getting a custom Brodie with Gators in this shape is tough to get. I could never of built it for what I paid for it. Probably not even find one!

This thing needs really nothing. I am going to change the tires obviously. I'll try skinwall, but blackwall may actually look better. I have a nice set of Ritchey Mega Bites that would match the other ritchey parts. Other than that, I'll tidy up the cables, put a XT 735 front derailleur on it, and swap out the Scott bars for flats. Maybe a syncros stem, but that's nit picking.

Nice! Looking forward to the build!

I guess I can't complain too much... I was the one that bought that pink KLEIN for $50 last summer and that 88 avalanche for $60... well.. the avalanche actually ended up costing me $140... seller was a nice guy so I gave him a little extra above asking price

Re: Re:

shutter":bpqnmpib said:
jimi911":bpqnmpib said:
I missed that Rocky Mtn to and that mint looking 1988 Avalanche for $50! I am batting about .200 on the amazing deals. They come up every so often, but they are tougher to snap up. There was also a $50 Klein Pinnancle last summer and a $50 1991 Explosif I just missed. There are always lower end diamondbacks, konas, etc. floating around, but a lot of those are $50-100 and than another $300-500 to get them on the trail.

This wasn't a giveaway deal, but getting a custom Brodie with Gators in this shape is tough to get. I could never of built it for what I paid for it. Probably not even find one!

This thing needs really nothing. I am going to change the tires obviously. I'll try skinwall, but blackwall may actually look better. I have a nice set of Ritchey Mega Bites that would match the other ritchey parts. Other than that, I'll tidy up the cables, put a XT 735 front derailleur on it, and swap out the Scott bars for flats. Maybe a syncros stem, but that's nit picking.

Nice! Looking forward to the build!

I guess I can't complain too much... I was the one that bought that pink KLEIN for $50 last summer and that 88 avalanche for $60... well.. the avalanche actually ended up costing me $140... seller was a nice guy so I gave him a little extra above asking price

Haha ... see it all evens out :)

You can see one odd tube in the "art department" pic. That tube that goes into the BB is square. Other than that geometry is all different. Its 17.5"ish to the top of the seat tube, but more like a 19" everywhere else.

I haven't pulled the cable guide to check the seriel #.

Retro_Roy":o3da9vrz said:
very nice score. really like the colour with the gold decals.
could you possibly enlighten us on the `interesting tubing mods' .
descriptions and/or pictures would be nice. :)
roy
this was custom sized for a gent that's 5' 5" in stature. strangely though, now looking at better pictures of it, it looks overly "tall" for what's supposed to be a small frame. definitely less stand over clearance than my 16" sovereign, and looks close the 18" climbMax I just picked up. guessing he had long legs and short torso perhaps… so 18" frame with shorter top tube maybe???

Re:

Had some time to tidy it up a bit and swap out the handlebars and tires. The rest remains original. I did a few paint touch ups. I don't have a cherry-purple color that matches the frame so I'll have to mix some. The bike has almost no trail or use marks. Just typical lockup blemishes. The guy I got it from said he rode it for about half a season on the trail than never took it off the street after that ... I'd say that's accurate.

Subract:
Specialized Enduro tires
Scott At3
Clip pedals

Add:
NOS smoke and dart
Ritchey Force Lite bar
NOS ODI grips
737 pedals (came with the bike)
Ringle H2O Cage ... gotta find the bracket in the parts bin :)

Not done with it. I'm not sure if I like the amber walls on it ... Original owner said it had megabites on it originally. I'll probably swap out the stem for a syncros once I get it back from the powder coaters and decaled. The seat is super cool but tired, I'll put something else on it. If I can find a black period correct bar I'll toss that on it. Other that ... Just needs new cables and it's ready for the trail. It looks pretty nice as is. About perfect for a bike in 1991.

Oh ... Need "b"'s for the gators :D

Attachments

• Brodie Climbmax 6.JPG
    Brodie Climbmax 6.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 700
  • Brodie Climbmax 11.JPG
    Brodie Climbmax 11.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 702
  • Brodie Climbmax 12.JPG
    Brodie Climbmax 12.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 703
  • Brodie Climbmax 9.jpg
    Brodie Climbmax 9.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 702
  • Brodie Climbmax 19.jpg
    Brodie Climbmax 19.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 701
Re:

A few more ...

Attachments

• Brodie Climbmax 7.JPG
    Brodie Climbmax 7.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 699
  • Brodie Climbmax 8.JPG
    Brodie Climbmax 8.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 699
  • Brodie Climbmax 10.jpg
    Brodie Climbmax 10.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 698
  • Brodie Climbmax 13.JPG
    Brodie Climbmax 13.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 699
  • Brodie Climbmax 14.jpg
    Brodie Climbmax 14.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 700
  • Brodie Climbmax 17.JPG
    Brodie Climbmax 17.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 700
  • Brodie Climbmax 16.JPG
    Brodie Climbmax 16.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 700
Re:

Looking sweet, great job. I'm more than a little jealous!

Re:

Serial # 1390

After the guessing game with my eXpresso I think I'll just take the sellers word a 1991

What size is the seatpost? There will be a little yellow "0" or "2" stamped in the back of the seatpost up by the clamp...

Back