1991/1992 GT Zaskar

The RS Mag 20 could be an original as well. It was an extra cost option on '92 Zaskars.
Good point! At first I though it was original for sure. However, the steerer is way too short for the headtube so it must have been installed afterwards... or the steerer was cut for some reason?

Some updates on this build. The dissasembly went smoothly! I expected a lot of seized parts, but everything came off easily.

The first step of this project was to clean up the frame and inspect it. Overall, it is in good condition, with no cracks, significant dents, or major damage. There are small dings on the top tube (possibly from a bike lock) and a tiny, barely visible one on the left seatstay, but they don't concern me.

After sanding and polishing, the frame cleaned up nicely despite its initial condition!

I started selecting the parts I'll use. I'm thinking about using mostly Deore XT, which I already have plenty on hand. I'll still have to look for some parts, such as a front derailleur (all the ones I got have a 28.6 mm clamp instead of the 31.8 mm needed), a Deore XT U-Brake as well as some nice parts to complement this build.

I'm still unsure about the fork replacement, I'll have to think about it.

20240421_185027.jpg

20240511_172225.jpg
20240511_172304.jpg

I’m still very undecisive about the fork I’ll use on this build…

I have a Syncros Powerlite that could have been perfect, but the steerer is a bit too short… and of course, the Rockshox Magnesium that came with the bike has the same problem (weirdly).

The only fork I currently have on hand that could work is this nice Manitou Answer EFC I recently rebuilt. The decals are a bit faded, but it is in good condition otherwise.

20240525_150144.jpg

It would not be period correct since it’s from 1995/1996, but could live with that. I like the look of it, and the fact it was made in the USA like the Zaskar is a nice touch! The thing is, it has 3” of travel and a 430mm axle to crown length, significantly more than the 400-405mm axle to crown length of the Rockshox. Since the rule of thumb is no more or less than 20mm when swapping a fork, I’m worried it will affect the geometry in a bad way…

Does anybody have any experience with using a longer fork on an early Zaskar / any other early 90s frame? Am I worrying for nothing or would it be best to try to find something else?

I’m still very undecisive about the fork I’ll use on this build…

I have a Syncros Powerlite that could have been perfect, but the steerer is a bit too short… and of course, the Rockshox Magnesium that came with the bike has the same problem (weirdly).

The only fork I currently have on hand that could work is this nice Manitou Answer EFC I recently rebuilt. The decals are a bit faded, but it is in good condition otherwise.

It would not be period correct since it’s from 1995/1996, but could live with that. I like the look of it, and the fact it was made in the USA like the Zaskar is a nice touch! The thing is, it has 3” of travel and a 430mm axle to crown length, significantly more than the 400-405mm axle to crown length of the Rockshox. Since the rule of thumb is no more or less than 20mm when swapping a fork, I’m worried it will affect the geometry in a bad way…

Does anybody have any experience with using a longer fork on an early Zaskar / any other early 90s frame? Am I worrying for nothing or would it be best to try to find something else?

i used a sid xc [80mm travel as well] on my 91 zaskar and it felt great.

Latest posts

Back