1990 Marin Team Titanium

I recognized the weld work. It's not Merlin, and Merlin stopped to work for other brands in 1990.
Like you, I don't understand why the weld the bridg higher. A specific collar would be enough, and less expensive.
Did they cut and welded the bosses too ?
I don't remember U brake on Marin ti : in 1991, Marin prefered classic canti brakes. Only the small 15" sized had U brake posses on seatstays (the anckles should touch the brakes…).
Perhaps it's a specific order. The weld job of the bridge seems to be done in the litespeed factory (the same style)

I think from 1991 onwards there was no longer a need for the U-brake on the rear, as shimano brought out the low profile cantis. So this would be the last example of the small frame U-brake models. Looking at the frame with the brake fitted I dont see how it could have worked in its old position. My only guess for this move is that maybe they put the U-brake bosses on and then by accident the cable stop was placed in the position used for canti brakes.

todays update........

......I finished the build last night at 23:40 ready for the shake down at our North West Ride (aftermath link here to follow)

the spokes, headset forks steerer trim and BB happened on Thurs night, the rest was completed on Friday.

The result a great ride today with good response esp when you put your foot down, I just to need to adjust the brakes now to improve things and get rid of those XT pads on the front for some Aztec ones. The U-brake will also be swapped out for a UII m733 model, when I get one. Tyre were actually the biggest surprise and worked in many different situations, inc snow/ice.

That is soooooo sweet, Looks the business with all the lashings of NOS XT :cool: and Im loving the U brake,

U brakes are very understated IMO :LOL:

I was lucky enough to see this bike in the flesh yesterday ! Have to say that this is another awesome build to come out of HarryCrumb's retrobike assembly line ! Stunning ! :cool:

Looks great, you don't mess about with your builds, can't believe you got it together so quick and thrashed it :D

Looks great, you don't mess about with your builds, can't believe you got it together so quick and thrashed it

Yes the ano paste on the blocks was interesting as the nos rims were stripped of their gloss grey finish, but I must say gloss rims don't stop you very well.

Superb Martin. Look forward to seeing this on a future retro ride.

I saw this bike being ridden hard (and crashed) on Saturday too. It is stunning and Martin's fearless use of NOS parts on winter rides is an absolute credit to him.

Very tastefully built bike as always.
This thread needs some more photos though. :cool:

Latest posts

Back