1990 Marin Pine Mountain (Rescue!)

vinnya77":dcyvuxbt said:
That's amazing!

Are you sure those pics of there rear mech before and after are the right way round?
Cheers! Seeing the price that some of these mechs are going for recently I'm glad I spent the time to spruce it up.....

Recent additions - knackered Flite Ti saddle, re-trimmed with fresh leather last night. Just need to look at options for re-creating the logos and it'll look sweet.

The principle I'm working to on all of my bikes is to try and do as much stuff as I can and to keep an eye out for the bargains when they come up......budget restoration.......hence a flite ti for a tenner :)

Attachments

• DSC_2140.jpg
    DSC_2140.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,635
  • DSC_2132.jpg
    DSC_2132.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,635
  • DSC_2115.jpg
    DSC_2115.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,635
elPedro666":335b1f00 said:
The Flite shape is so distinctive I think decals are very much optional!

Keep up the good work :cool:
Thanks! :)
True - it's certainly a recognisable shape! I'm gonna have a play with some decals/stencils/leather paint on some scrap leather to see what's achievable.

I've re-trimmed a second flite in the meantime (a transalpes version this time) with some softer, lesser grained leather. Really quite pleased with the outcome of this......also thought I'd upload some pics of my "free" laser-cut vinyl decals that I've added to try and tart up the tatty frame and a whole bike pic to give a better idea of how it's progressing.

Attachments

• pineM.jpg
    pineM.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,532
  • headbadge.jpg
    headbadge.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,532
  • flite re-trim 2.jpg
    flite re-trim 2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,532
Few minor additions - I managed to get round to drawing up the artworks for the "Pine Mountain" graphic along the top tube and also for the "flite" and "titanium" logos for my re-trimmed saddle, which I then had laser cut in white vinyl.

The saddle logos are a little experimental to be honest - the flite logos should be OK but I think the titanium text wont last long and will probably rub off quite easily......time will tell. Now that I've had them cut I can experiment with some leather paint (using the vinyl in negative as a stencil). I also need to draw up the "selle italia" and for this saddle the "transalps" text and get those cut.....

Attachments

• flite titanium.jpg
    flite titanium.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,426
  • decals after.jpg
    decals after.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,426
  • decals before.jpg
    decals before.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,426
very nice. I had a 1990 palisades, and a 91 Eldridge, the lighter grey was a much nicer colour. Good job :D

Impressive. That's all there is to say with the effort put in and the end result.

Interested to hear how the vinyl survives - Kiran (my better half) has access to a cutter at work and I have a few plans for it! Runs on Illustrator files which I've never used, sure it can't be that hard though... :D

Thanks for the kind comments guys - appreciated! :)

elPedro666":2mv6jsse said:
Interested to hear how the vinyl survives - Kiran (my better half) has access to a cutter at work and I have a few plans for it! Runs on Illustrator files which I've never used, sure it can't be that hard though... :D

Well - One week of commuting and I haven't walked away from the bike with "titanium" or "flite" lettering stuck, in reverse, on my inner thighs!

Seems like they've stuck really well. Might look into drawing up the "selle italia" and "transalps" logos and ordering some coloured vinyl to complete the set.........

Back