1990 Marin Pine Mountain (Rescue!)

So - first ride out on the cobbled together Pine Mountain on Friday. I've been building the bike up at work in the evenings with the aim of getting it ready for yesterdays planned cycling trip in London. I left my regular commuter Marin at work on Friday evening and rode the Pine M. home in single-speed form. As it turned out the XT front dérailleur bought from gingernuts/badger (thanks!) turned up on Friday morning so I ended up having all the bits I needed to get some gears on the bike for Sunday too (I was planning to go single-speed). Swapped out the single-speed bits for the 7spd bits on Friday night and ventured up to London on the train on Sunday to try it out........

Attachments

• boris bikes.jpg
    boris bikes.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 2,923
  • pine1.jpg
    pine1.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 2,923
Thats a stunner!! The 1990 Marin range is possibly one of my favourite MTB ranges of all time! Personally I prefer it to the darker '91 range.

Last year I sold a mint 1990 Palisades and when I see a thread like this I really regret it... as a result I'm always looking out for another 1990 Marin.

Bravo Sir!

good work....nice to see that come together...it looks great, the colours are really sharp!....nice job!.... :D

Awesome job!!! I love that feeling when you do a ton of restoration work and it all comes together into sweet ride. It is easy to forget all the hard work projects like this take, hence your photos leave a legacy of planning, prep, skinned knuckles etc. NICE JOB man...

Cheers guys....it's come together a lot quicker than I had originally planned - mainly because I've held off on respraying the frame for the time being (gives me a bit longer to sort out decals and a suitable paint finish). Still a lot to do on it but it's great to actually be riding it and enjoying it.

Now that it's on the road (and is a complete bike) I've updated the first page of the thread with a spec list....

Postman brought a few goodies this morning......

A set of M734 XT cantis to replace the std Deore DX units on the bike from eBay and a Marin bottle cage bought from the forum (cheers kingsaxlingham!)

Gonna give the cantis a good clean up & buffin' before fitting them and the cage I'm gonna strip back and repaint in fluro orange to match the forks/stem. Not sure how that is going to look on the bike but I'm gonna give it a try......

Attachments

• cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 2,432
  • m734.jpg
    m734.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,432
Building up a collection of a few good bits to go on the PM - I'm pretty much sorted with all XT kit.

NOS XT headset, XT cantis & a XT rear dérailleur (shortie) are all ready to go on the bike.....bottle cage has also been painted fluro orange to match the forks.

Thanks to Racin'Snake for the rear dérailleur. I've got the bug for polishing stuff at the mo so anything vaguely aluminium is being buffed before going on the bike. This build is sort of reminding me of the automotive rat-car look, where people leave the bodywork to look shabby and crap but then bolt on really shiny alloys and other chrome bits........

Attacked the deep scuffs and scratches with a needle file then progressively finer grades of sand paper, right down to 2000 grit then finished off with Autosol polish. One thing I found out - if you want a good colour match for the dark grey paint on the XT dérailleurs then try Tamiya Acrylic Gunmetal (X10)......

Before and after:

Attachments

• 735 derailleur.jpg
    735 derailleur.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,323
I'm a big fan of the 1990 Marin range as well.

Top marks for rescuing that and turning it into something decent :D

Back