1990 Bianchi Sika

Nice to flick between the before and after pics, you've done a nice job on this, very classy and I imagine it's a great rider.
Thanks @Tsundere !

It's always been an exceptional rider, oddly enough it's my non-cyclist better half's favorite bike to ride when she get's out. Saddle lowered, she has no objection to the stretched out position somehow, she's always been amazed at how great the quick handling feels.

I make sure to get it out in the dirt a few times a year in the rotation 😁

Man you’ve got that looking stunning - everything looks so classy and elegant and good one with the cattle prod
I’ve a soft spot for Bianchi (I have 3 and sold 2)
Thanks to Marco @RetroRider_IT ive a beautiful Celeste Nth in Columbus genius tubing with matching forks and ITM stem. Collecting parts before I make a build thread
Thanks @ibbz , yep, as mentioned way above I've always had a soft spot for a celeste Bianchi as well, mountain or road bike.

Can't wait to see how your Nth build turns out 👍

Couple changes made recently, firstly I had to remove the Klein MC1 as it was needed for an actual Klein build and managed to grab an excellent condition silver Syncros Cattleprod and lightweight Kona bar for pretty cheap. The silver stem actually suits much better I think especially with the silver seatpost.

Not sure why I waited so long to fit amberwall tires, I think they really brighten it up especially with the black rims :cool: 😁

View attachment 685302
View attachment 685303
View attachment 685304
View attachment 685305
View attachment 685306
Hi all - very new to this. I see that the orginal pics had a bottom pull front derailer and it was modified to a top pull FD - is that right?

Hi all - very new to this. I see that the orginal pics had a bottom pull front derailer and it was modified to a top pull FD - is that right?
Hi @Hannly Welcome!

You are correct. Back in 1991 top tube cable routing was gaining favor with component makers still to catch up. Some frame makers used a pulley near the bottom of the seat tube so the inner cable could be routed down the seatube, through the pulley and then directed back upward into the derailleur anchor screw the usual way, while others like Bianchi elected to run a longer piece of cable housing from the top tube cable stop, then through a cable management loop brazed mid way down the back of the seat tube, then through the modded cable stop piece attached where the Shimano cable anchor screw was, then the inner cable could finally be anchored with a small screw into the bottom bracket shell!

Crazy! I never liked the way this looked as the vertical section of black cable housing never sat very straight (OCD) so what I did was add a simple cable adjuster from a spare derailleur complete with a nut to the loop brazed midway down the back of the seatube allowing the use of a top pull front derailleur.

Much cleaner I think :cool:

Like you, I recently picked up a SIKA from an estate sale - $10...can you believe that? I am in the process of rebuilding it and that bottom pull front derailer BS was giving me headaches. Mostly because I misplaced the routing piece for the BB. I just bought a top pull LX and will do the same thing you did.

One thing that is interesting is that both our Sika's have the eye bolt guide for the down cable for the front derailer. I notice on later models that they did finally go to a braze-on. Does anyone know when they did that? It might help identify the year, though I am pretty sure mine is a 1990 based on catalog information posted on Gringineer...

Anyway - good to connect with like minds on old bikes...wish I was a better mechanic though.

I will post the pics when I am done.

Wow! $10 😲. Can't beat that, curious to see pics to see how well preserved yours is. Is yours Celeste green paint?

Looks like Bianchi switched to the standard cable guild and top pull front derailleur in 1991, see catalogue:

(edit: the below catalogue I believe is 1991 even though 1992 is mentioned)

The 1990 LX spec really didn't need changing with mine but being my second retro restoration a few years ago (while just starting down the retrobike rabbit hole) I couldn't help throwing some upgrades it's way, and then, one thing led to another... 🤣

I think the stock 1st gen LX is excellent stuff though

Back