1989 Scott Windriver

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
I’m always on the lookout for bikes I can pick up when I’m travelling around for work. I picked this up today driving between Bedfordshire and Manchester.
E2EB16E4-AC2A-4B28-A2BB-926A7B57ABD9.jpeg
It’s pretty big at 22” - I can ride it but it’s not an ideal fit for me. Think I’ll give it a once over and maybe change out the XT rear mech for a correct Deore one I have to put it back nearer stock. It’s also got Pace RC50 hubs with Mavic M231 rims so they will come off to go on something else.. Needs tlc but should turn out pretty nice I reckon.

I have one the same, link below. I am 6'1 but its pretty large even for me. The wheels on yours were a good score.

I have one the same, link below. I am 6'1 but its pretty large even for me. The wheels on yours were a good score.

I did see yours when I did a quick search before I collected it, cool how you still have it. This one was a bit of a punt to be fair, the pics in the ad were pretty poor but I went for it all the same. Glad I did because I had no idea it had Pace wheels! I was also dubious about the plastic chainset cover, thought someone might have changed the deore cranks out for some nasty budget things. Luckily not - the cover must have been fitted since new as the cranks are super clean when you take it off..
Can’t decide whether to harvest the parts until another frame comes along (that is the right size) or fix it up as is, it doesn’t need too much really to make it a nice one.

It's always nice when you get some surprise upgrades. It makes up for the times it turns out to be well a bit crap. I bought a bike recently for really silly money just for the frame. Turns out it had Bullseye hubs so that was a nice little touch. Your thread also reminds me I need to find a RC50 rear hub for my RC100 that I will rebuild one day. If you need the correct Deore II hubs for your Scott I may have some off an old 89 Rockhopper Comp although I seem to recall one rim is toast so would need rebuilding.

682C5181-233D-4866-B7AF-208667289A5A.jpeg
Amazing the difference a decent set of tyres makes, really liking how this looks now.. doesn’t look so gate like and goofy with chunkier tyres..

Burned the midnight oil and blitzed this one, was so stoked to see how it might turn out.
ED16D13D-877F-4B74-9A19-3BCD202911EB.jpeg
Taking it for a ride this afternoon so we’ll see if it performs as well as it looks.. 🤞

Back