1989 Muddy Fox Seeker - utility, going non-utility retro

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I never did quite get my unicorn, a 1990 Seeker Mega. I did end up with crazy compact tired 1990 Mega 500 Frame (essentially a Seeker) though and a tired 1989 Seeker 19" bike, and my 20" 1991 Sorcerer project which was my first retro Bike buy/build in 2007 or whatever.

In 2011 I got a 21" frame from Caramba Kid that he was dumping/donating, elpedro666 came to the rescue and delivered it from a meet up for me, top chap. :xmas-cool:
I've not had a firm use for it but it looks great, I was given a kids trailer earlier this year for my toddler, we tried it on my SS DMR Trailstar and she ended up covered in dried crud off the tyres. :D So I've been plotting a sensible build on the big Seeker squirelling parts, and attempting to search for bits in my hoards, seems easy on paper this build but no!

It's a practical but sympathetic build, I want it to feel fresh and reliable even though it doesn't need to be, mudguards and sturdy chassis... so far 8 gears 36 x 11-28 and mudguards and Mavic/Shimano more on that later as it's coming along well just a few annoying bits missing now...

First was the forks, the Prestige forks I had were too short and I really wanted Chrome, luckily I found some for sale here.

While I have pics handy heres the cleaning pics, before clean i think, it's a tad scratched up but looks nice after a little T cut.

Re: 1989 Muddy Fox Seeker - utility

1989 was the best year for Muddyfox, ride wise, geometry was spot on with none of the 1990 bikes oddness. Sorcerer Pro is the one i'd want.

Carl.

drcarlos":3jcyu9a7 said:
1989 was the best year for Muddyfox, ride wise, geometry was spot on with none of the 1990 bikes oddness. Sorcerer Pro is the one i'd want.

Carl.

This is what I'm thinking. The 1991 Sorcerer is the only one I've ridden and i do like it a lot and don't intend to sell it. The quality on the 1989 looks brilliant, classic brilliant, the 1990 doesn't look half as well made, never meet your heroes...? and the 1991 Seeker Mega I had briefly wasn't as nice as my Sorcerer either though was sturdy enough for a Europe tour for a mate! I think My 19" I was going to paint pink, I don't think I could do that now, in the meantime it's donated limited bits mostly a less barge like stem. I'm close to completing this build, update soon.

:)

It's not until you get to the top end 1990 bikes that things improve, the Prestige Comp i have is markedly different to the Pathfinder I commuted on for a year (it was unrideable off road with the standard stem IMO). The Alu Team, Prestige Comp/Pro and Mega 550 exhibiting different Geo by half a degree in the head and seat angles along with different tube lengths changes the ride markedly. I swapped my 150mm stem for a 135mm with a bit of rise and it was super comfortable for 180 miles over 3 days last year. The build of the Prestige Comp is also a lot nicer than the Pathfinder too.

Carl.

Interesting. I think I've noticed that in catalogues before different geo etc.
I'll probably not bother with a 1990 Seeker now unless the price is right or it looks great. A lovely prestige in a sensible size though yes that would get me excited. Little bit envious! :D
I think the stem on this 21" was a 150mm the one off the 19" is 135mm I think. Trying to resist the urge of riser bars on it rather than the smart original bars off the 19", Will try first. It's a set of cables off completion now so weekend finish is doable, it's looking great now.

So, long over a year ago not long after this thread was made, I built this bike up just didn't update the thread.
I took the trailer out and couldn't believe how light and fast it felt. What a lovely thing. The new modern parts helped and DMR kevlar street tyres too.
Being retro it still feels long and fairly low despite spacers but probably the right. As a result I've chosen my Trailstar or BMX for little runs out round park etc.
I had a change of heart and will now be make it sympathetically more retro even though it rides great as it is. I have a stack of nice and exNOS Deore II MT62 parts to go on. It was originally Suntour XCE and even my other one doesn't have all the parts so my vision to make this custom one Deore II should be nice. I could do with suitable period wheels, though I do have the old Muddy Fox Araya ones on the other one I want something better really. Hubs can be anything decent Shimano around this era. I'm not over fussed.

Have some old pics!

Back