1989 MS Racing Pro Comp XT

gtturbo

Senior Retro Guru
I've said it before but will say it again I do have a thing for bikes from 89. I got my first decent bike in 89, a Bear Valley, and spent most of my time lusting after other bikes in MBA. So when this popped up the other day I had to have it. I already have a CR II so this is a nice little addition to my Malcolm Smith collection.

So this is How it was when I collected it.

20230407_103931.jpg

Previous owner liked to live dangerously,

20230407_144510.jpg

So after a quick clean, some amber walls and a Turbo saddle we now have this. All ready to ride although I will change the cables at some point. It was nice to find the original stem was still present. The seller also gave me the original saddle but it has a chunk out of it. Still nice to have for reference so I can try and match it up, it's just a Vetta compared to the strange brand used on the CR II of which the name escapes me.

20230409_180841.jpg

20230409_180856.jpg

20230409_180847.jpg

Last edited:
Nice find. I picked one of those up as a parts bike, but it didn't have the original fork. I suspect it was converted to a suspension fork and then back to rigid. I really like the look of those MS Racing / Alpinestars steel forks.

Cycling to work this morning (work in Chiswick, West London) I flew past a guy who was on a retro looking machine (he was on the inside of cars and I was on the outside) and about 0.5 mile down the road I got stuck waiting at the level crossing.

The guy who I had passed earlier only rolled up on a MS Racing Pro Comp XT! 😎 😍

Had a good chat with him before the barriers raised. It was his grandads bike and had been sitting in a garage for 20 years. He knows it's kinda' cool as when he took it to a bike shop the mechanics probably reacted like me! 🤣

Great to see these bikes still being used. Lots of original parts had gone/been changed over the years, but that's the life of a bike!

Also saw a smokey DiamondBack (Apex?) the other day with what looked like XT and a chainstay U brake! 😍

Back