1989 Kona Fire Mountain - keep it standard or modify?

Good point, take the old stuff off, a liberal coating of WD-40 and then stick it in the loft and then wear out some other kit! First thing to go will be the steel Biopace chainrings, whilst they do look funky, they're pretty heavy! Mmm retro XT....

I'd replace the rear brake. Get the bosses moved to canti postion.

tintin40":5ykvsi85 said:
I'd replace the rear brake. Get the bosses moved to canti postion.

No - I wouldn't do this - you'll never match the original paintwork when you have to retouch/respray it.
I believe the original paint is Dupont Imron and those Paul Brodie sprayed Konas still look good after 20 years - better than anything else I've seen from around that time.
Anyway - U brakes can be made to work well enough (at least as good as canti's), a lot, in my experience, depends on the pad compound (softer is better IMHO) and there's plenty of choice around because of BMX stuff.

tintin40":1cn94svv said:
Fitt Maguras :cool:

Problematic on Konas, certainly if the U brake mounts are in the same position as on my Explosif - getting the mounts low enough for the pads to clear the tyre and close enough to the rim without lots of excessive travel being the two issues.

The reason being that the U brake mounts seem to be slightly further from the wheel centre and wider spaced (92mm c-c) than on most frames.

Just a quick update on this one:

Both derailleurs replaced with 1989 XT
Levers / STI units replaced with some nice early 90s XT Rapidfire units (thanks to missmyfat)
Front brake is now 1993 STX - Fibrax Cantilever Pads
Rear U-brake has Fibrax cartridge pads in V-brake holders
Tyres are IRC Notos replicas
Handlebar changed to 1996 Kore Race light
Chainrings are now round, alloy Shimano ones 26/36/46
Cassette replaced with chrome HG70 (thanks to missmyfat)
Seatpost is Kalloy 400mm
Tesco 99p bar-ends stayed on!

The bike stops SO much better now, the combination of the different lever ratios and the modern pad compounds really helped. It is now my favourite bike! All the old components were wrapped up in rag and put away for the day I get the pang to rebuild to original spec.

Job done.

If I get time I'll take a pic this weekend. I like how it turned out, it looks standard but the overall performance has increased. I honestly can't believe how good the brakes are! XT is way over the original spec, but considering the total upgrage cost was about £65 then I'm happy. It makes it more useable too.

I gave the other 1990 Fire Mountain a real pounding this weekend - trying to keep up with some freeride bikes in some boulder-y trails. The headset is now shot and the seatpost bent. :( After 20 years I should treat it with some more respect! They thought I was daft - I kicked their asses on the (non-technical) climbs though - in your face 6" travel! Oh and I rode the 8 miles to and from the trails and they drove - wusses.

I got some nice pics of the Kona in the Norwegian snow which I'll post soon.

Ive just bought a fire mountain the same as yours, only mine is a 21" frame.(its the one that was in the for sale section).
Im just gunna keep mine standard and use it for riding to work on!
The paintwork isnt too bad but some of the stickers have worn away and im thinking of getting it powder coated and some new decals??

jimmy-s3":1a2j1qo1 said:
The paintwork isnt too bad but some of the stickers have worn away and im thinking of getting it powder coated and some new decals??
:shock: :shock:
Be warned, the Gods of the Volcanos will come down and wreak awful vengeance on you for such a sacrilegious crime against British Columbia's artistic heritage. You will be struck by lightning on your way to work one morning and the ghosts of Paul Brodie's ancestors will come and dance on your grave.

Alternatively, you could leave the paint as it is and ask Gil_M to make you some replacement decals. That way, the Gods will let you live. And it'll be cheaper.

Back